Author Topic: Nikon D850 a "Baby Nikon D5 camera”?  (Read 12319 times)

chambeshi

Nikon D850 a "Baby Nikon D5 camera”?
« on: July 31, 2017, 20:43:32 »
https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/31/the-nikon-d850-is-the-baby-nikon-d5-camera.aspx/#more-114369

And derived from Nikon Austria (source)  .... speculation circles the whirlpool of intrigue....

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
Re: Nikon D850 a "Baby Nikon D5 camera”?
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 21:05:05 »
https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/31/the-nikon-d850-is-the-baby-nikon-d5-camera.aspx/#more-114369

And derived from Nikon Austria (source)  .... speculation circles the whirlpool of intrigue....

And started here by Wolfgang (Millirehm) :D
Chris Dees

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 21:47:50 »
i would rather have a D5x
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 22:30:35 »
What's in a name ... The D850 does not have a built-in vertical grip - you'll have to buy one separately if you want one. That makes sense for a camera which is more likely to be used for landscape/wildlife in remote locations, where smaller size and weight are important considerations.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 22:48:52 »
at ~46 Mpx and 10fps... i would like two XQD cards.. i wonder where they are going to put them.

but to be honest for wildlife i need high ISO and that isn't going to be the case with photo sites that are D500 size. the balance with big glass is better with the grip, however, the cost with the grip will be at least 1500 USD less than the equivalent D5x which is very cost effective... so.. who knows.. maybe it would be worth replacing my D810...  me thinks that it will probably make a better landscape camera while pinch hitting as a wildlife camera.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 00:08:16 »
Surprise. Did not expect my post to be a source of rumor on nikonrumors.com

We will see in the future how good the connections to Nikon Japan actually has been here
Wolfgang Rehm

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 01:46:08 »
i would rather have a D5x
The Dream Is Alive...
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 03:31:09 »
What's in a name ... The D850 does not have a built-in vertical grip - you'll have to buy one separately if you want one. That makes sense for a camera which is more likely to be used for landscape/wildlife in remote locations, where smaller size and weight are important considerations.

I never used the vertical grip on my D2H. It takes me longer to change from horizontal to vertical when using it. When you don't use it your hands never leave the camera for repositioning.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 05:04:52 »
at ~46 Mpx and 10fps... i would like two XQD cards.. i wonder where they are going to put them.

but to be honest for wildlife i need high ISO and that isn't going to be the case with photo sites that are D500 size.
Hi ISO and high resolution don't really go together ... You could easily downsize to ~23 MP (half size) and get reduced noise and still a good sized image. Will be interesting to see how that stacks up against the 24MP D750...

I wonder if it will really do 46MP at 10fps? That is a huge amount of data to push around. It might shoot that fast only in crop mode or at lower resolutions?

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 05:32:59 »
Roland, ever since Wolfgang started the rumour many are wondering if that is 10 fps RAW or jpg, gripped or un-gripped.  I guess we will find out at some point  ;) .
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2017, 05:40:33 »
I wonder if we will have the ISO 64 that is in the D810. My guess is not likely. Anyone have thoughts on that?
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 07:25:00 »
The D500 gets more shots with Battery-grip and EN-EL18 but not more fps. Maybe it is the same with D850?
Grip is just used when better balance is wanted and weight is not that much of an issue. Still high fps while hiking without grip.

No idea whether the rumored 10fps is in Raw or hust jpeg
Wolfgang Rehm

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 08:09:47 »
A baby D5 would be a direct D700 replacement. It would use the same sensor as the D5 or the sensor to be used in the D5s. The D850 seems to be a new species that is both fast and high resolution.

I'd still like a D700 replacement that offers crazy high ISO with still decent image quality.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

chambeshi

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 09:19:22 »
A baby D5 would be a direct D700 replacement. It would use the same sensor as the D5 or the sensor to be used in the D5s. The D850 seems to be a new species that is both fast and high resolution.

I'd still like a D700 replacement that offers crazy high ISO with still decent image quality.

the iterative progress we're seeing in these DSLRs is remarkable > Adding and merging innovations into inherited features; in the case of the Df, the camera is built on the venerable ergonomics inaugurated in all the finery of the FM2/FE2/FA guild. The pro models beginning with the D3, and the D7xx, D8xx lineages are (have been) superb, truly.

Equally the D500 in DX. The latter being one remarkable camera.

hopefully free of glitches, the D850 should be a DSLR of Note ! These times we photographers live in have never been better :-)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 11:17:52 »
this is going to come out around september. traditionally, the big makers sell their stuff before the trees change colour here in Japan so that the old Japanese guy on pension (カメラ叔父さん or "camera uncles") can buy the new cameras to shoot that  ::) sad but the older guys on pension have the money to buy these things here.

AND

another camera before christmas  :o :o :o