Author Topic: Best way to greater magnification for macro work  (Read 9210 times)

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Best way to greater magnification for macro work
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 05:25:57 »
There is equipment out there nowdays with built in stepper motors that allows the platform holding the subject to be moved closer to or further away from the camera in controlled steps for the purposes of facilitating the gathering of images for stacking.  Not inexpensive, but maybe useful for those doing a lot of such work.

in case focus stacking is required or desired, there is another way to take a series of photos to stack. instead of moving the camera setup back and forth, you can move your subject instead. this will not apply to lighter things but if you are shooting coins and other stuff then this is also viable  :o :o :o
Hugh Gunn

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2017, 05:42:48 »
Hello. last time i checked it was about $700?  :o :o :o

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2017, 08:35:56 »
Up to around 5X, the manual movement using a device such as the Nikon PB-4 bellows or a smooth-moving 'macro' rail is entirely feasible. In fact, that's the approach used for this summer's work by me.

I do have the Stackshot motorised rail, but usually find it introduces a lot of issues on its own (vibration during movement is one of them, lateral movement another). Thus I use it only when the degree of movement is very small and a large number of frames have to be captured. Do add sufficient interval periods before the next frame or you'll end up with a tedious and cumbersome method of getting a totally blurred shot :(

Stackshot is also mainly a studio unit, as it depends on reliable power for its operation. It is imaginable that a mobile setup can be used where the Stackshot is fed from a 12 V DC car battery or similar, though, but I cringe thinking of the associated practicalities and troubles.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2017, 10:42:57 »
stackshot, thats the name!  :o :o :o

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2017, 12:28:51 »
for 5x or greater i use Mitutoyo M-Plan metallurgic infinity corrected objectives and a stackshot rail.. (polarizer at the rear for storage)

infinity relay with diopter lens - has the advantage of changing mag by removing tubes.

or a Schneider APO-Componon HM 45mm f/4   Mount = L39, machine lens - reversed

produces stuff like this..

Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2017, 12:59:55 »
Fascinating creature with impressive detail :D

So, do you prefer the simpler approach with a close-up attachment instead of a dedicated ~200 mm lens? I just commenced experimenting with some Nikon microscope objectives and the various 200 mm lenses at my disposal. As my main purpose would be UV, I do need to invest in a UV capable microscope lens which apparently is horribly expensive. Must earn some hard cash first ...

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 13:11:33 »
I am thoroughly impressed  :o
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 21:52:02 »
So, do you prefer the simpler approach with a close-up attachment instead of a dedicated ~200 mm lens?

so i tried the Ai Nikkor-Q 200mm f/4 (F-series Ai'D) and the Ai-S Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4 IF... the latter having some better coatings. turns out that the raynox diopter with the extension tubes was superior in my mind although the Ai-S Micro-Nikkor was not bad either.. the added advantage of changing the mag with the raynox was key for me.. image quality of the following objectives was super.. (the Raynox tube concept was gained from Rik Littlefield over at photomacrography.com)

Mitutoyo M Plan APO 2x NA 0.055 200/0
Mitutoyo M Plan APO 5x NA 0.14 200/0
Mitutoyo M Plan APO 10x NA 0.28 200/0
Mitutoyo M Plan APO 20x NA 0.42 200/0

all APO.. for the D800 i really didn't have enough covering with the Mitutoyo M Plan APO 2x NA 0.055 200/0 so didn't really use it much.. i could also get to 2x other ways.. (e.g. Schneider APO-Componon HM 45mm f/4)

as far as the NUV Mitutoyo lenses.. check eBay... all the lenses above come from there used.

Nikon D800E ,Mitutoyo M Plan APO 5x NA 0.14 200/0, RAYNOX TUBE 170mm bellows extension, 5mm objective extension - aprox 3.9x
245 stack iso100

Nikon D800E ,Mitutoyo M Plan APO 5x NA 0.14 200/0, RAYNOX TUBE 180mm bellows extension, 5mm objective extension - aprox 4.1x
325 stack iso100

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 22:26:37 »
Thanks for the additional info and excellent images, too.

I'll start with what microscope objectives or Macro-Nikkors and any of the 200 Micro lenses are available to me at present, because the material is already sitting ready for being photographed. This is just a feasibility studio and a pilot to a potential much bigger project lasting for years and funded by the Ministry of Environment. Sufficient working distance is highly important as my plant specimens will be floated in water-filled quartz cuvettes. I reckon about 10X primary magnification is what I should aim for. Fortunately it seems I managed to revive my old fibre optic flash unit. That will ensure the water doesn't begin to boil in a long stacking sequence ...

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 23:02:18 »
the mitutoyo M-plans i listed have a 30mm WD... the metallurgic objectives are designed for front illumination and hence the large WD.. the schneider of course much greater..

of course i have a lot of lenses for macro work... many are on Klaus's web site.. turns out that microscope objectives produced great results and to get to 10x+ mag was quite easy.....  i should really sell my luminars etc..

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2017, 23:41:16 »
Those images are fantastic!

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2017, 09:46:38 »
Wonderful work indeed Bob, and yes, stacking with modern infinity Metallurgical APO objectives using a tube lens (or any other good 200mm lens) really has proven to work wonders; quite better than the conservative special macro lenses (Luminars, Macro Nikkors etc. made and used pre-stacking)

Just the StackShot has also proven to be not really precise enough for such type of fine marco work, hence why there are now much better units on the market with sub-micron repettitive precision and slack-free like the StackMaster / StackUnit (no wonder, a german product :LOL:) http://www.stonemaster.eu/products/stackunit
formerly known as kds315

Martin Zimelka

• NG Member
    • Martin Zimelka Photography
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2017, 10:28:49 »
Wow, amazing work and helpful information!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2017, 11:56:29 »
It's a race a bit like hi-fi in the former days. Every improvement whether perceived or real ups the ante by a factor significantly greater than one. I surmise the impressive German unit (linked to by Klaus) redefines 'expensive' compared to the Stackshot :D

Thus, a balance has to be struck between expense, practicality, and features. Not all subjects have a well-defined 'hard' surface like insects or gem stones and might not take equally well to focus stacking.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2017, 12:06:15 »
http://www.stonemaster.eu/products/stackunit

very nice piece.. do they give price?... i couldn't find the EN page. ;)