Author Topic: Best lightroom 6 reference?  (Read 2698 times)

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Best lightroom 6 reference?
« on: July 28, 2017, 02:34:33 »
I purchased a new laptop and with it the lightroom 6 disk. There is a plethora of books, videos and other information available to guide one in its use. But I have no idea which reference would help me to develop a reasonable skill level quickly. Any suggestions?

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Best lightroom 6 reference?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 06:11:35 »
Lightroom is logically organized and labelled, and I found that when I got Lightroom 1, I could bumble my way though enough to get started.  I recommend Victoria Bampton's Lightroom 6 FAQ book as a well-indexed compendium done in the FAQ format. It's the one I keep coming back to as I discover features or encounter problems.  I haven't found a good book that takes you through learning the app in a logical and programmatic way.  Maybe others can suggest one like that.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 11:23:16 »
The best tutorials I have used for photo processing are on Lynda https://www.lynda.com/Photography-tutorials/Lightroom-Photoshop-Workflows-Three-Start-Finish-Studies/606087-2.html   Julieanne Kost is an excellent teacher.

There is a free trial.
Anthony Macaulay

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 14:19:47 »
Lightroom is logically organized and labelled, and I found that when I got Lightroom 1, I could bumble my way though enough to get started.  I recommend Victoria Bampton's Lightroom 6 FAQ book as a well-indexed compendium done in the FAQ format. It's the one I keep coming back to as I discover features or encounter problems.  I haven't found a good book that takes you through learning the app in a logical and programmatic way.  Maybe others can suggest one like that.

Exactly, bumbling is what I am trying to avoid, or at least minimize, and so I thank you for the link!

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 14:24:29 »
Since I originally posted, I found this series of videos which I've found to be quite helpful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bECi0ZQAB34

I've viewed the first five and thought they were very good. I'll probably look at all of them to get the lay of the land and then go back and re-view them taking notes as I go.

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2017, 14:31:56 »
The best tutorials I have used for photo processing are on Lynda https://www.lynda.com/Photography-tutorials/Lightroom-Photoshop-Workflows-Three-Start-Finish-Studies/606087-2.html   Julieanne Kost is an excellent teacher.

There is a free trial.

Thanks, I'll take a look there as soon asI get through Anthony Morganti's videos.

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2017, 17:59:28 »
Jeff Schewe's book The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw and Photoshop is excellent; there is a companion The Digital Print: Preparing Images for Printing in Lightroom and Photoshop.  They are more books about whys and wherefores than software manuals.  Victoria Bampton's Lightroom FAQs is good for a more which-button-does-what account.

They are physical books, which for reference I find easier to use, although they come in Kindle versions, which I also have but read on an iPad.