Author Topic: Mooring  (Read 1243 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Mooring
« on: July 27, 2017, 18:23:00 »
Taken a few years ago, down at the docks on Lake Ontario, here in Toronto.
While walking around looking for human subjects, I spotted an interesting graphic on the side of a moored ship, and grabbed this photo.
motorized Nikon FA
Nikkor 35 f2 AIS manual focus
Fuji Sensia 100ISO colour slide
5.6 @ 1/125th
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: Mooring
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 16:20:53 »
I also enjoy finding graphic shots such as this.

Do you develop the film yourself? Are the negatives then scanned? If so, how do you "reverse" a scanned negative? I'm so incredibly untutored about film and negatives that I'm not even sure I'm asking the questions correctly!

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 18:25:22 »
Good question, but this is taken on color slide film.... nothing to reverse.

Most good scanners (e.g. Epson V850) are running with SilverFast software, this software has a subset called NegaFix which allows you to process a large variety of negatives.

http://www.silverfast.com/highlights/negafix/en.html
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 15:01:44 »
Andrea,
No, I do not develop my own film, although there are kits available for doing E-6 processing. My film goes to a lab. The film is both the negative as well as the positive, and is "reversed" in the developing process, which is why slide film is also known a 'reversal film", and what was in the camera is what I get back in the slide mount.
when I first began photography in 1977, I shot print film, but on the advice of my first mentor, switched to slide film to learn about exposure.
However, there were a few shots I made in those days that required scanning to put them on-line, and so I took the print negatives, mounted them in slide mounts, scanned them and using a feature in Photoshop (Image>adjustments> invert ) that turned the negatives into positives which could then be manipulated with the software.
I hope this answers your questions.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 16:25:54 »
Thank you Robert!