Author Topic: Nikon D850 Announcement of an Announcement of Development  (Read 42200 times)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Nikon D850 Announcement of an Announcement of Development
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2017, 19:23:17 »
Canon didn't seize and hold the #1 position from Nikon by superior engineering, it did it by superior marketing.

Have you forgotten the Canon envy years? Canon's super telephotos in particular during those years? Sports photographers in particular had to switch as Nikon could not compete with auto focus. Nikon was habitually five years behind. Full frame or 36x24mm? I don't remember how many years but Nikon was behind here. I believe Nikon fell behind because of late technology.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

D800Dominic

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • AEC Network
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2017, 19:40:13 »
I understand that there is a high probability of a Hybrid EVF-Optical Switchable Viewfinder. I am further aware that many know/think that the Nikon sample 8K Time-Lapse  promotional video for the Nikon D850 can already be done with software and the existing out of production D800/D810. Wonderful, moreover, Nikon has hopefully, temporarily lost its mind by using customers as their, for its profit, beta test force. Silly me believes that the 100th Anniversary has significant value to the Japanese culture and that Nikon will use their opportunity to reclaim both the luster and the stage spotlight that they have forfeited in recent memory. I fully expect that while not an Über camera, the Nikon D850 will be traditional game-changer as was the the Nikon D800 series and that was a beautiful thing. 

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2017, 21:12:27 »
I wish this is true .... https://youtu.be/wSdnVVswrQ4
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

chambeshi

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2017, 21:17:38 »

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2017, 23:24:37 »
It appears to NOT have a built-in flash(OK with me) and why is the 'BKT' button where the flash button used to be?  If bracketing has been moved to the former flash button area, what is the new control in the  'Four Kings' in the former rewind knob position?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2017, 00:07:24 »
I wish this is true .... https://youtu.be/wSdnVVswrQ4

Wheeler dealer certainly is annoying. I hope the D850 kicks ass!

Dave

...fingers and toes crossed.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2017, 01:24:46 »
That will also mean a possible real silent shutter. Keeping everything crossed !

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2017, 02:26:48 »
If bracketing has been moved to the former flash button area, what is the new control in the  'Four Kings' in the former rewind knob position?

MODE has been moved to the left side. Qual, WB and metering pattern selector are the others.

benveniste

• NG Member
  • I think, therefore I am. I think.
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2017, 05:24:38 »
Have you forgotten the Canon envy years? Canon's super telephotos in particular during those years? Sports photographers in particular had to switch as Nikon could not compete with auto focus. Nikon was habitually five years behind. Full frame or 36x24mm? I don't remember how many years but Nikon was behind here. I believe Nikon fell behind because of late technology.

Dave Hartman

Not at all.  Nikon had already lost the #1 position by then.  Remember the "Image is Everything" campaign?  All of those AE-1 and AE-1 Program bodies Canon sold created the cash flow and corporate support to take on Nikon and win.

Nikon's venture into autofocus was a primarily a marketing mistake, which was that they believed that professional photographers "didn't need" technologies such as autofocus and VR and absolutely, positively wanted to hold on to the F-mount at any cost.  Even so, their R&D department beat Canon and Minolta in producing an AF SLR, had the first lens with a CPU, and was the first to put VR into a consumer camera.  After the F3af failed, the next batch of Nikon AF cameras and lenses were targeted at amateurs.  They used Series E designs for two models and didn't bother with professional favorites like the 80-200mm f/4 or 105mm f/2.5.  Even now, 30 years later, people express anger at Canon for switching mounts, but history has shown it was the right choice. 

As a microcosm of Nikon's poor marketing, consider, if you will, the F3 flash system.  By the time the F3 came along, it was pretty clear that hot shoes were becoming the industry standard, and Nikon took a major technological step forward by adding TTL to the F3.  Yet not only did Nikon carry forward the "over the rewind" approach, but when it introduced F3P to add a hot shoe, they didn't include TTL in that design.  Then something like 18 years later, they finally introduced the AS-17, even though the F4 had been out for a decade.  Believe it or not, Nikon USA still lists the AS-17 as a current product.

chambeshi

« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2017, 18:40:15 »

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2017, 18:48:04 »
Latest update on the D850 on NR. Still subject to official confirmation

https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/27/the-nikon-d850-will-be-capable-of-4k-uhd-video-in-fx-format-with-no-crop.aspx/

For my work, the crucial feature is:

Improved low and high ISO, and particular the Low ISO. If it remains as it is with the D810, that is fine with me. If they can improve it, wonder full, but if it goes "tacky," no deal for me.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2017, 21:00:41 »
If the potential - best of both worlds - OVF/EVF hybrid rumour is true it is a clever move from Nikon:

Downside is that only Nikon F mount lenses will fit and none of the new mirrorless only lenses designed for a much shorter flange distance, nor Leica M mount, Canon FD, Canon EF, etc. For most of NG this doesn't matter though  :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2017, 21:25:32 »
I think this "Angry Photographer" missed one critical point.  The distances of the focusing screen and the EVF put on the front of the pentaprism from the finder eyepiece are different.  So, either image will be out of focus when looked them through the ocular.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

aerobat

• NG Supporter
  • Daniel Diggelmann, Switzerland
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2017, 22:22:03 »
A hybrid view finder sound very appealing to me. Already when the first Nikon Df teaser videos were shown a few years ago, I though it could feature a hybrid view finder. This looks like a logical next step to me.
Daniel Diggelmann

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2017, 06:14:37 »
I think this "Angry Photographer" missed one critical point.  The distances of the focusing screen and the EVF put on the front of the pentaprism from the finder eyepiece are different.  So, either image will be out of focus when looked them through the ocular.
Unless the diopter adjustment could accommodate the range necessary?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA