Author Topic: Nikon D5x  (Read 4660 times)

chambeshi

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Re: Nikon D5x
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 10:50:38 »
MSpainting an "x" after the D5  ::)

Magic.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 18:33:40 »
The article starts with this as the first sentence:
"Nikon flagships have a life-cycle of 3 years while the entry level DSLR cameras have relatively smaller life-cycle of around 2 years."
Hasn't it been 4 years for the 'flagship' models, so far?
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2017, 18:52:06 »
Dx to Dx+1: 4 years; Dx to Dxs: 2 years, I believe
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 22:23:01 »
There will be a D5something camera next year I was told by Nikon Austria today
But it would be strange to see a D5x instead of a D5s. That would mean two new high resolution top of the line cameras within a few months (after D850)
Wolfgang Rehm

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 00:00:29 »
If the d850 is going to be 8+ fps, how fast the D5s is going to be?

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 17:11:31 »
well there are yet unidintified physical limits for SLR to be assumed
Canon achieves 14 fps so Nikon should be able to match that too
Wolfgang Rehm

Valerie S.

• NG Member
  • I AM Me
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2017, 10:00:29 »

14 or even 16 fps would be nice. It may not seem like much, but for baseball it's the ball on the bat or in football, the ball in the fingers.

I shot with my D500 after shooting several weeks with a pair of D5. The D500 felt and sounded like an old lawn mower. I said the same thing when I switched from a D500 to a D750 shooting tennis. We adjust very quickly to seemingly small changes.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 13:55:01 »

Does the Canon have a scatter shield? Bad enough to loose a foot when your clutch blows but if the shutter blows it could take your nose. Sorry about the rhyme.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 18:09:44 »
For optical viewing there is the issue that faster mirror movement introduces a louder sound (emphasized by the higher frame rate) and more vibration or less viewfinder and AF system "ON" time. There are compromises involved. In mirror-up or mirrorless operation, it is possible to increase frame rate as technology progresses. Personally I want to do more by shooting single, well timed exposures to reduce time spent editing and to make the process more personal, less daunting and more effective. I get it that some phenomena are so fast, high frame rates are needed for consistency in capture but that's not really my thing. I'm more interested in human expression of emotions and for that single shots work best, and even for most movement I choose a much slower frame rate than 12 fps. The D850's 9 fps seem perfectly fine as the upper limit to what I might need. Mostly still I avoid continuous shooting and prefer to shoot what I could predict coming.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 19:01:36 »
The D5 has also 14 frames/s, but the mirror goes up on the first frame and stays there until the end of the serie, where the mirror comes down again. Not too much of a problem for me as I rarely shoot series longer than 5 frames, and on average 3.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 19:30:41 »
I have only used the ultra-frames-per-sec on a handful of occasions.
I mostly limit it to around 6 for fast-moving action and larger birds in flight although, for monkeys in flight, I do go much faster!

The unfortunate thing about getting used to shooting with the D5 is that when I need to swing to my secondary camera I find myself being intensely irritated by the D3S which I previously adored.
 :(

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 11:09:19 »
...I'm more interested in human expression of emotions and for that single shots work best, and even for most movement I choose a much slower frame rate than 12 fps. The D850's 9 fps seem perfectly fine as the upper limit to what I might need. Mostly still I avoid continuous shooting and prefer to shoot what I could predict coming.

I used to be able to squeeze off single frames with a camera set to 8 fps but I got (a little older and a little slower) so I was wasting film with my F5 by fire two frames when I only wanted one. My solution has been to speed up CL (continuous low speed advance) from 3 to 5 fps. I leave the my cameras D2H, D300s and well the D800 doesn't matter set to CL or CH for the D800. If I want a series I'll hold down the shutter release and the camera is ready. Otherwise I squeeze off single frames relying on anticipation and reflexive timing to nail the peak expression or action.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!