Author Topic: The 300PF as a stabilized Macro on 23mm & 52mm extension  (Read 10655 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: The 300PF as a stabilized Macro on 23mm extension
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2017, 18:36:49 »
some more extented 300PF Shots:

You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2017, 21:36:30 »
Frank, the first two are just lovely!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2017, 21:40:27 »
Great images Frank

1 and 2 are my favorites
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Bjørn Jorde

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2017, 23:47:22 »
Nice work Frank!

Have you measured what the reproduction ratio with the 23mm extension is on the 300PF?
Also, do you know wha the minimum focusing distance is with this combo?
BJ

Bill Mellen

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 00:43:22 »
Very nice Frank!

The 300PF is at the top of my wish list along with a TC14III
Everything gets better as we grow younger and thinner

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2017, 00:53:25 »
The 300PF focuses to 1.4m by itself, giving a magnification of 1:4.1. My rough calculation suggests the focal length has reduced to about 230mm at this point. Adding a 23mm extension tube will increase the magnification by an extra 1:10, giving a total magnification a little less than 1:3. The focusing distance will be about 1.2m. These calculations assume a theoretical "thin lens" so the actual figures may be a little different, but they are usually reasonably close.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2017, 04:50:50 »
Welccome back, Frank, and thanks for additional marvelous closeups!  Hope the reason for your hiatus is not the health problem.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2017, 06:49:08 »
Those are really great Frank — especially the first one.

I have been using my 300 mm PF heavily since I bought it a year ago as a direct result of your comments and enthusiasm for that lens.

Olivier

• NG Member
  • Olivier Anthony
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2017, 07:32:53 »
I like n.3...
The leaves give a swirl that surround the bug.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2017, 09:09:38 »
Akira. It was more the immune suppressor medication that caused some trouble and the need for a pause.

Thank you all for the comments. Esp tracking fast insects is wonderful with the combination. I need some time to practice autofocus in these situations.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2017, 13:36:22 »
Nice work Frank!
Have you measured what the reproduction ratio with the 23mm extension is on the 300PF?
Also, do you know wha the minimum focusing distance is with this combo?

No I did not measure the reproduction ratio.

For me the question is more interesting, if I get an added value in practice. With a lens like the 1.4/105E and the 1.4/58G I feel the distance range is very small if I extend them, meaning: I can get nearer to the subject, but the subject distance in which I can achieve focus is very small, so I am more or less fixed in a certain distance from the subject. I hope you can understand what I say.

With the 300PF I can change subject distance and still achieve focus. Of course I lose 10 Meters and I lose infinity, But I gain qite a lot.

Next time I will take a triod and measure the minimum and maximum distance in which I can achieve focus. OK?

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2017, 20:52:24 »
Lots of nice work here Frank, and very interesting to me because it helps to confirm my recent habit of using my 70-200/4 for all my macro work. I use it either with extension or supplementary lens or both, and it gives excellent results, the working distance is much more comfortable, and the bokeh is superb.

I have been so pleased with this that I have tried using the 200-500/5.6  in the same way, also with good results. However, the lens is just a bit clumsy for this kind of work, as I'm sure you know.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2017, 21:04:00 »
Nice shots. But my only concern with so much extension is that it changes the lens, nevertheless, and probably affects the color. In my work, there is no free lunch, no matter how hard i try. You may get top results, but when I try it, it seems I am just degrading an otherwise great lens.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2017, 21:25:27 »
Michael: the perfection in your work is fascinating also the process you achieve your results. Yet your work is yours and others emphasize on other aspects of picture making. I do not feel I use the combination in the best possible way yet, but I am working on it

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2017, 21:34:43 »
David: very interesting what you do. From me macro was always tripod and manual focus and small subject distance. With a long stabilized lens with superb AF they spontaneous, emotional shot is achievable. A new field opens. I really like the 105VR optically, but I hate the CAR and the AF because they are not really helpful tracking bees in flight which is my goal. With the D500 and very soon the D850 the AF and VR of the long version 300PF is superb. A bit of practice and you hope to create amazing stuff I could not create with my earlier equipment. Nice to hear that the 70-200 and 200-500 are also useful. Very interesting. Wish I had more time to shoot & edit