Author Topic: Evening  (Read 1160 times)

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
Evening
« on: July 18, 2017, 10:16:00 »
Last night from a favourite viewpoint in the hills to the south of Loch Tay. A slight haze had shown up all the receding ridges.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
Re: Evening
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 13:58:18 »
Great sights David to finish a long northern summers day - the far away ridges look like pop ups in a childs book.

(I do hope that you had a warming dram in the emergency pocket of your camera bag.  ;D)
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 15:39:50 »
Love the second one.  The interplay between the mountains in gradient blue and the haze is beautiful.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 16:24:16 »
Thanks, Hugh and Akira, for your kind comments.

Great sights David to finish a long northern summers day - the far away ridges look like pop ups in a childs book.
(I do hope that you had a warming dram in the emergency pocket of your camera bag.  ;D)
Nice thought, Hugh, and I have the exactly the right stuff - in recent month I've been given presents to two bottles of very special Japanese malt whisky. A little hip-flask - get Mayumi to do the driving - sounds good to me!

Love the second one.  The interplay between the mountains in gradient blue and the haze is beautiful.
I did nothing to the colour of either image but was surprised at how different they were - shot at the same time, but the blue one further from the sun. I prefer that colouration too, so I have reprocessed the warm-tone one - tell me what you think.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 16:37:58 »
Dave, thanks for taking time.  I do prefer the reprocessed version.  To me, the original first image looks a bit too washed out.  I like the enhanced color contrast of the reprocessed one.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 16:50:02 »

+1, like the second really, really.
Hans Cremers

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 19:15:18 »
Thanks for posting, Hans and Akira.

Randy Stout

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 20:16:33 »
David:

Nice sense of depth, talk about a strong "atmospheric"  effect.

Cheers

Randy

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 03:58:02 »
All very atmospheric, almost romantic, images Dave. Like Akira, I prefer the reprocessed version of #1 which, to my eye, is a little too strongly sepia.

I like the soft green of the first slope, which is better defined in the reprocessed version.

The softness in these images is in stark contrast with the bright, crisp colours of the dry winter we are having here in Sydney.
Mike Selby - Sydney

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 18:58:52 »
Thanks, Randy and Mike. The warm-toned image does look better re-processed but I'm still a bit mystified as to why it was that colour to start with - rather lazily, I just went with what the camera gave me.

Mike - good to hear from you (and Akira) -  it looks like I will probably be able to attend another of our 3-man meet-ups, later this year. Will be in touch.

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 19:02:07 »
Beautiful gradient. I also like better the second version of the shot.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 20:04:57 »
I like EveningHills02, the second image in the series the best. I think it's the flow direction that I like better. I like the HazeReprocess version better. The color in EveningHills01 looks like smog.

Best,

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David Paterson

• NG Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 20:56:03 »
Thanks, David and Paco. #2 seems to be the agreed better image, and I feel pretty much the same myself.