Author Topic: Camera life  (Read 1917 times)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Camera life
« on: July 17, 2017, 16:20:38 »
A question rhat have been bodering me. After shutter wears ir breaks off,you can replace it so it is not the death if the machine. Whats is the life expectancy or sensor exposures -rather than shutter count-, buttons wear.. etc? Just because I saw a d3s with 275000 clicks, first shutter, and got me wondering.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Camera life
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 18:19:56 »
Good question, Paco.  I've never seen nor heard of a sensor 'wearing out'.  I imagine that the colors in the color filter array might fade if exposed to bright light for a long time, but I have no data.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2017, 23:09:46 »
250'000 pictures at an average of 1/250s makes about a total exposure (to light) of the sensor of less than 17 minutes ....
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 23:35:06 »
Wich is less than the video I recorded saturday on a dance class with the d750. Im sure thre should be some life expectancy of body, buttons wear, seals, circuits, etc... but still the great obsolet factor is technology. Will a d3s with its second or third shutter mechanism still be able to get images for many years to come? Or any ither model for that fact. My d700 is going strong and I haven't aeen any image deterioration with the pass of time.

The question still remains

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 00:03:40 »

What is most likely to happen with the sensor over time is an increase in hot pixel count. (It is usually not making the camera unusable though as they can be mapped out.) That happens faster if the camera body is used on the space station...
Øivind Tøien

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 01:43:15 »
Aside from the dead pixels, I haven' heard of any indication of deterioration of the sensor.

Then I wonder why I haven't heard about the dead pixels in the video world?  I guess the temperature of the sensors in the video cameras are kept more constant because of the continuous activation, whereas that of still cameras may be more fluctuated because the sensors are activated only periodically, especially the DSLR that doesn't use live views as default.

Anyway, I would stay away from a used camera of such high number of actuation, unless other conditions of the camera are acceptable and its price is "ridiculously" cheap.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 16:30:32 »
Price determines much of the value for second hand.

On the other hand, a D3s with 275k clicks is just a young one  8)
Hans Cremers