Author Topic: Additional info on D750 service advisory  (Read 5678 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Additional info on D750 service advisory
« on: July 13, 2017, 23:51:37 »
Nikon found out that more D750 bodies are affected by the shutter unit problem:

https://www.dpreview.com/news/5252259585/nikon-expands-d750-shutter-recall-yet-again-more-cameras-affected

My D750 turned out to be the affected one.  Although I have had no problem, I'll take it to Nikon service.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Additional info on D750 service advisory
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 23:58:38 »
Mine had the problem too. It didn´t bother me but I send it to repair because the camera flash didn´t work on commander mode. They fix it all under warranty, including piking it up and delivering back to the store where I bought it.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 00:07:21 »
I've used mine for about one and a half year.  For some reason, I feel a bit lucky to be entitled to have my camera serviced for free half a year after my one-year warranty had been void.   8)

My ever so faint hope would be the improved shutter sound...

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2017, 10:19:19 »
Mine was one of the earliest models, to which I spammed 75k clicks. Sent it in 2 weeks before warranty expired  :D :D
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 13:32:52 »
I received my D750 from Nikon service today.  The shutter unit was replaced.  In addition the rubber grip which had slightly shown its wear was replaced as well: they would have to remove it to access the screws to remove the covers.

Now my D750 looks as good as new.   :D :D :D

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 14:00:58 »
When a DSLR gets a new shutter fitted, does the exposure count get reset to zero (maybe allowing for some shots for testing) or does it continue on from the last count from the old shutter?

I have heard conflicting tales in response to this question. 

Can anyone whose camera has had a new shutter fitted care to comment?
Hugh Gunn

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 15:15:36 »
Hugh, the exposure count on my D750 hasn't got reset to zero.  The frame count on my returned D750 startted from that (_DSC98XX) when I send the camera to Nikon service.

By the way, I feel that the shutter sound is a wee bit softer now...perhaps a placebo effect?   ::) ::) ::)

ADDED:

The "aux:ImageNumber" item in the Raw Data section in the window displayed when "File Info" is selected says "10918".  If it means the shutter actuation count, the exposure count is not reset.

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 18:15:34 »
Today my D750 seems to have developed a shutter issue for the second time.

I bought the camera new in August 2015.

In April 2016, something in the shutter broke. Some piece of it was visible in photos, as can be seen in the attached photo. The shutter unit was replaced ander warranty (I am not sure if anything else was replaced as well, they were not prepared to go into details or show me the damaged components). And while I was very glad that the work was done free of charge, it took about 6 weeks...

This morning, the shutter seemed to jam. The synptoms appear similar to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go1SaHjICkM

However, every account I have read of similar synptoms seem to mention that it only happens at 1/4000th of a second, and normal function is restored at lower shutter speeds.

Mine, however, happens at all shutter speeds. When pressing the shutter button, the mirror lifts up (as if mirror-up drive mode is selected), and nothing further happens. Pressing the shutter button again causes the miroor to close in a much more noisy fashion than normally, seeming to "bounce" several times. The shutter does not operate at all during this process, and a completely black photo is recorded to the memory card.

I have removed the battery several times, changed lenses several times, tried every drive mode and several exposure modes, nothing seems to make any difference.

I don't know what the shutter count is, but I doubt it's more than 40 000 in total on both shutter mechanisms.

My questions:
1) Has anybody experienced a similar failure?
2) Could I have done anything to cause this failure?

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 19:48:47 »
Today my D750 seems to have developed a shutter issue for the second time.

I bought the camera new in August 2015.

In April 2016, something in the shutter broke. Some piece of it was visible in photos, as can be seen in the attached photo. The shutter unit was replaced ander warranty (I am not sure if anything else was replaced as well, they were not prepared to go into details or show me the damaged components). And while I was very glad that the work was done free of charge, it took about 6 weeks...

This morning, the shutter seemed to jam. The synptoms appear similar to this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go1SaHjICkM

However, every account I have read of similar synptoms seem to mention that it only happens at 1/4000th of a second, and normal function is restored at lower shutter speeds.

Mine, however, happens at all shutter speeds. When pressing the shutter button, the mirror lifts up (as if mirror-up drive mode is selected), and nothing further happens. Pressing the shutter button again causes the miroor to close in a much more noisy fashion than normally, seeming to "bounce" several times. The shutter does not operate at all during this process, and a completely black photo is recorded to the memory card.

I have removed the battery several times, changed lenses several times, tried every drive mode and several exposure modes, nothing seems to make any difference.

I don't know what the shutter count is, but I doubt it's more than 40 000 in total on both shutter mechanisms. Also, I have checked the serial number and it is supposedly not affected.

My questions:
1) Has anybody experienced a similar failure?
2) Could I have done anything to cause this failure?

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 20:29:03 »
Peter - I wonder if this could be part of the original issues with the D750 or perhaps the camera is doing this due to trauma. Check insurance.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 20:57:40 »
Please, please assure me that this is not the same shutter fitted to the Df???!!!

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 22:49:06 »
Peter, sorry about your insisting trouble.  But apparently the problem is not related to the service advisory because your shutter unit was replaced once.

According to the EXIF file, the shutter count was not reset to zero on my D750 whose shutter unit was replaced.  So the count of 40,000 should be too low for the replaced unit to be worn out.

Your image suggest that the shutter unit is defect.  You would need to contact Nikon again.  I'm not sure if they would admit that after more than one year of replacement...

Please, please assure me that this is not the same shutter fitted to the Df???!!!

Kenneth, so far as I understand, the shutter unit of Df is identical to that of D610.  Both had been on the market before D750 was even released.

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2017, 07:35:56 »
Thanks for the replies.

Elsa, i guess trauma is a possibility, as i do a lot of heavy 4x4 travelling on very bad roads, and have been on several very hard trips with this camera.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 07:51:37 »
thats why I was asking - I had a similar experience with a lens. We forget that gear is not made of titanium. My damage was after my Karoo trip - LOTS of dust and shaking and bumps on the 4x4 route. I was even damaged!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 08:53:45 »
Elsa and Peter,

if your cameras are shaken and bumped around on the 4x4 vehicles, that may well cause the trouble.  I would doubt if even D-sigle-digit models could withstand those situations...