Author Topic: Df: diaph not closing on shutter release or DoF preview  (Read 1668 times)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
My Df has seen 3 years of fairly intensive usage. Only glitch so far is the one in the title.

Symptom is that, after mounting some lens, the diaph remains open whatever the setting. The setting is correctly indicated in the displays. On pushing the preview button, the Df emits a fainter noise than usual.

Removing the lens, one sees that the aperture lever of the camera reacts to the Preview button, but only the second time and all subsequent times.

Putting the same or another lens on, the scenario repeats itself.

Workaround consists in pushing the Preview button while the lens gets mounted, and releasing the button after the lens mount has clicked. After that procedure, the diaph behaviour is always normal.

Causes: I suppose that the lever first makes a slight lateral unlocking movement, then gets down. Maybe there is an obstacle in the lateral movement (a dent in the lever?) but I could not notice any. When mounting the lens using the aforementioned procedure, the resting (lock) point is slightly different and that enables the diaphragm closing.

Note: the problem arises more and more frequently after a lens change, but not during a shooting sequence with the lens in place.

Have you met the problem before ?
By the way, to get the repair done will basically cost me a 350 EUR entrance ticket...
Airy Magnien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Df: diaph not closing on shutter release or DoF preview
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 21:58:24 »
I had this with my D600. Was the aperture lever. Broken while mounting an old MF lens in 45 Deg wrong orientation. Repair was 157.60€ ....

AKS in Cologne did it for me: http://www.nikonservice-koeln.de

They accept mail order repair
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/