Author Topic: Nikon D5 - new firmware 1.20  (Read 1924 times)

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Nikon D5 - new firmware 1.20
« on: July 11, 2017, 09:53:48 »
New firmware for Nikon D5 available here:
direct access to the download page: http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/242.html

Two noteworthy AF additions: a horizontal and vertical line Group mode, focusing on the closest point of a vertical or horizontal sensor line.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

atpaula

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Aguinaldo de Paula Photography
Re: Nikon D5 - new firmware 1.20
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 11:36:16 »
New firmware for Nikon D5 available here:
direct access to the download page: http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/242.html

Thank you for posting.
I never remember to look for these new firmwares.
Aguinaldo
Nikon / Zeiss
www.aguinaldodepaula.com

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 11:40:26 »
With pleasure. Normally, I have a Nikon widget installed, which is supposed to flag such additions. But as it is the case for many Nikon software applications, it doesn't work ....
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 13:59:51 »
I can imagine one use for the horizontal line group: when there are athletes coming towards the camera, in case I want to focus on the eyes of the closest subject, I could use this.  If I use regular group it tends to catch details in the chest (shirt with athlete's number, advertisements etc.) because they are such good focus targets and because I can't move the regular group area all that much off center along the short axis of the frame (for vertical compositions regular group can work great but in horizontal / landscape compositions it can be moved only one step up or down from center). With the horizontal line I could place the line at eye level (top row) and just let the camera choose the closest subject.

Another option could be when photographing race cars, to place the focus on the front of the leading car without risking focusing on the road. At least I can imagine it being useful for that.

It will be interesting to try these out.