Author Topic: Bit of Apartheid history in South Africa  (Read 2512 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Bit of Apartheid history in South Africa
« on: June 25, 2017, 14:15:13 »
Tt is a glimpse into a tour - i.r.o of some history of South Africa - for those interested in Nelson Mandela and the apartheid topic -  if this is your thing - here are some images from a tour I did yesterday with guests from California. We combined the Robben Island tour and a trip to 2 townships in one day.

Robben Island is a small island just North West of Table Bay harbour (12 km from the main land) This is where political prisoners were kept during the Apartheid period. One travels by Ferry to get there The dude in the image is a former political prisoner - he is now a site guide and lives with his family on the island. An immensely interesting and passionate person. Cant tell you how much I enjoyed listening to him. 

The Townships we visited were Langa and Kayelitsha. Kayelitsha - and you can NOT go there on your own. Driving there is hair raising - even for us locals! It is however awesome to see life in the Townships - kids playing in the street, a huge sense of togetherness and a great community, despite the fact that they are poor, houses often leaking like nothing you have ever seen, and the threat of fires being huge (they use fires for cooking and candles for light, unless they are illegally tapped into an electricity pole.

A delicacy you will always find in the Townships - Smiley's (sheep's heads). A lots of chicken (apparently better than KFC) and cheap sausage - all cooked on open fires on the street. "vendors" operate from right outside their homes (often 3m x 3m in size - and can house 8 - 18 people (believe it or not) Many of the homes are shacks - built from anything they can lay their hands on. Water and toilets are communal for these shacks. Not all homes are shacks - you will find some brick ones too. our visit to see a traditional healer (Sangoma) was interesting to say the least ...
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Bit of Apartheid history in South Africa
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 20:12:29 »
Thanks for sharing these. The man in the fur hat reminded me that it is winter in that part of the world.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 21:14:05 »
Now I am hungry for grilled chicken
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 21:38:58 »
interesting.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 22:14:14 »
from this far away as I am apartheid sounds so far away in time, but it really isn't

fascinating images
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2017, 02:29:24 »
Don't for one moment imagine that apartheid was invented in South Africa.  Sadly it was alive and "well" here in Australia for a long time before it reared its ugly head in SA. 

FWIW, South Africa and its peoples seem to have very much come to terms with its apartheid past and is putting it behind them, both of which are very useful steps forward IMHO.  We still have quite a way to go, even though our numbers of affected indigenous peoples were and still are relatively smaller in proportion to our non-indigenous people than is the case for SA.
Hugh Gunn

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2017, 08:14:11 »
Thanks for sharing these. The man in the fur hat reminded me that it is winter in that part of the world.
He is the medicine man - Sangoma - and he wears that animal hat - and animal skins - everyday - summer and winter :)

Thank you all for the comments. Although there is apartheid visible in many places - we really have come a very very long way.
And when our rugby / soccer teams play against the world - we stick together like sh•t on a blanket. Then we are ONE :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2017, 10:06:41 »
Interesting documentary series, Elsa.

Love the first shot with the view on Cape town.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2017, 10:15:16 »
Thank you John

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2017, 11:58:08 »
Thanks, Elsa, for providing the opportunity for some history lesson.

Ironically cruel things, not only the apartheid, can happen in such a peaceful and beautiful environment...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2017, 12:01:20 »
So I have noticed........................................  :)

.....................................................................................

And when our rugby / soccer teams play against the world - we stick together like sh•t on a blanket. Then we are ONE :)

Hugh Gunn

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 12:05:04 »
Thank you Akira and Hugh :)

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2017, 20:36:03 »
I like the way you mix the images. It gives a bigger panorama showing scenery, harsh conditions, people living, some crude, old and young (love the pink hat)...
   You explain it hard but images have some hope. Fascinating overall.

Thanks for sharing!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2017, 07:00:02 »
Thank you Golunvolo. I love going to the townships.

Anirban Halder

• NG Member
  • Minneapolis, USA
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2017, 16:56:58 »
Very very interesting series. Thanks for the background - that makes so much difference when you see such pictures. Would love to see more pictures of these towns.
Anirban Halder