Author Topic: Woofers with a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 Nokton  (Read 2498 times)

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
Woofers with a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 Nokton
« on: June 25, 2017, 11:45:09 »
The usual drugs for a uni kid.
20170624-DSC_6801 by Daniel Han, on Flickr

One can of drugs is not enough obviously!
The photo's WB is off by a bit, which can be seen in the shadows around the coffee mug, WB was at 50k after I attempted to "fix" it. Perhaps simply desaturating that region would help. The sun above cast blue shadows everywhere, probably from the trees or something. I only found out after I got home. Thankfully only one shot was affected!
Life of an Electrical Engineer Student by Daniel Han, on Flickr

Time for some cute dogs!
Woof! BW by Daniel Han, on Flickr

And I'm not afraid to shoot wide open :)
MF is kind of hit and miss, so I usually adopt the "focus bracketing" method. The confirmation spot is usually fiddly, 3 shots give me one which is bang on!
Thinker... by Daniel Han, on Flickr

Is that a human?
Hi Mortal! by Daniel Han, on Flickr

BW version:
Hello! BW by Daniel Han, on Flickr

I really love this lens, it's a joy to use and the results are stunning, in my opinion! After finals, I may even try it on an equatorial mount for astro  :) The coma wide open is pretty horrid. f/2 or 2.8 would be a great starting point.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Woofers with a Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 Nokton
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 12:41:39 »
I can see why you like it. Gorgeous dog too, yours?

benveniste

• NG Member
  • I think, therefore I am. I think.
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 17:06:00 »
Nice stuff.  I love the build and feel of this lens, and I feel the sharpness and color are excellent.  The first shot shows my main "beef" with this lens -- the lens overcorrects spherical aberration in the background and undercorrects in the foreground.  I wish it had been the other way around.

My other objection is the $60 lens hood, but at least there are alternatives for that.

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 11:01:55 »
I can see why you like it. Gorgeous dog too, yours?

Nope! I would love to have one as a pet though, but I also don't want to support mass breeding in the pets industry.

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 11:04:13 »
Nice stuff.  I love the build and feel of this lens, and I feel the sharpness and color are excellent.  The first shot shows my main "beef" with this lens -- the lens overcorrects spherical aberration in the background and undercorrects in the foreground.  I wish it had been the other way around.

My other objection is the $60 lens hood, but at least there are alternatives for that.
Oh yeah man, I totally agree. $60 for a piece of metal. The Chinese 58mm hoods are pretty much 99% the same. I prefer the old voigtlander hood system (i.e. 125/2.5) which is now used on the Zeiss classic line. They stopped using it and "upgraded" their SL lines specifically to exclude their excellent hood mechanism. I smell some corporate strings  ::)

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 11:19:34 »
This lens belongs to my favourites: "standard", but 58mm is much better for portraits; sharp and contrasty at least from f/2; flat field; high resistance to flare.
Minus: some LoCA; strong sharpness drop at short distances (stopping down required); coma (OK only from f/2.8)

Above all, manufacturing quality, size, and handling make it a joy to use.
I agree with Benveniste's remarks regarding correction of spherical aberrations. On certain subjects, this requires post-processing. Not as bas as Sigma 35/1.4 though.

Above examples demonstrate some of this.
Concerning the hood, I screwed on a short, generic, metallic one, designed for 35mm lenses. I use it as a front lens (mechanical) protection - a bumper. Never felt the need for filters or longer hoods.
Airy Magnien

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 13:16:34 »
This lens belongs to my favourites: "standard", but 58mm is much better for portraits; sharp and contrasty at least from f/2; flat field; high resistance to flare.
Minus: some LoCA; strong sharpness drop at short distances (stopping down required); coma (OK only from f/2.8)

Above all, manufacturing quality, size, and handling make it a joy to use.
I agree with Benveniste's remarks regarding correction of spherical aberrations. On certain subjects, this requires post-processing. Not as bas as Sigma 35/1.4 though.

Above examples demonstrate some of this.
Concerning the hood, I screwed on a short, generic, metallic one, designed for 35mm lenses. I use it as a front lens (mechanical) protection - a bumper. Never felt the need for filters or longer hoods.

Yep! I agree with the overall sentiment and the points you brought up. I simply use a cheap Chinese metal hood when needed. I applied some flocking myself as well.

F2F3F6

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 18:06:11 »
Hello Macro-cosmos, nice pictures to demonstrate the qualities of the Nokton ! Which model do you have ? Nokton SLII-N (58mm filter) or the new SLII-S built or shaped like an old Nikkor (52mm filter) with black or chrome ring ?
Both share same optics, but the last one seems specially attractive !
Thanks for your post !

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2017, 15:43:21 »
Hello Macro-cosmos, nice pictures to demonstrate the qualities of the Nokton ! Which model do you have ? Nokton SLII-N (58mm filter) or the new SLII-S built or shaped like an old Nikkor (52mm filter) with black or chrome ring ?
Both share same optics, but the last one seems specially attractive !
Thanks for your post !
Thanks man!
I have version one, with the rubber focusing ring.
Version 2 is all metal and version 3 resembles a nikon ais lens.
A friend has done tests with all 3, exactly the same optical performance!