Author Topic: Karoo Trip  (Read 3585 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Karoo Trip
« on: June 22, 2017, 13:54:09 »
From my recent tour to the Karoo. Very dry - but enchanting in a different way.

Wikipedia:
The Karoo is a semi-desert natural region of South Africa. There is no exact definition of what constitutes the Karoo, and therefore its extent is also not precisely defined. The Karoo is partly defined by its topography, geology, and climate — above all, its low rainfall, arid air, cloudless skies, and extremes of heat and cold. The Karoo also hosted a well-preserved ecosystem hundreds of million years ago which is now represented by many fossils.
The Karoo formed an almost impenetrable barrier to the interior from Cape Town, and the early adventurers, explorers, hunters and travelers on the way to the Highveld unanimously denounced it as a frightening place of great heat, great frosts, great floods and great droughts. Today it is still a place of great heat and frosts, and an annual rainfall of between 50–250 mm, though on some of the mountains it can be 250–500 mm higher than on the plains. However, underground water is found throughout the Karoo, which can be tapped by boreholes, making permanent settlements and sheep farming possible.
The xerophytic vegetation consists of aloes, mesembryanthemums, crassulas, euphorbias, stapelias, and desert ephemerals, spaced 50 cm or more apart, and becoming very sparse going northwards into Bushmanland and, from there, into the Kalahari Desert. The driest region of the Karoo, however, is its southwestern corner, between the Great Escarpment and the Cederberg-Skurweberg mountain ranges, called the Tankwa Karoo, which receives only 75 mm of rain annually. The eastern and north-eastern Karoo are often covered by large patches of grassland. The typical Karoo vegetation used to support large game, sometimes in vast herds.
Today sheep thrive on the xerophytes, though each sheep requires about 4 hectares of grazing to sustain itself.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Karoo Trip
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 14:12:48 »
Karoo 419 is my absolute favorite.
Oh how I would love to travel there...
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 14:24:23 »
Thanks Jakov - having a Braai (the Americans call it a barbecue) is very much part of our culture. Braai, Beer and sunshine.
This location can only be reached with 4x4 vehicles. It was my first trip with my 4x4 truck.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 15:58:39 »
Elsa , very nice place, looks like a good location for astrophotography

I used to do a lot of 4x4, that is actually what pushed me into photography
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 16:08:15 »
Armando - yes its very good for stars. PITCH black.  On our way there we passed thru Sutherland - which is the best place - as it is very high above sea level. 
Sutherland is home to the South African Astronomical Observatory. It is the national centre for optical and infrared astronomy in South Africa. The facility's function is to conduct research in astronomy and astrophysics. The primary telescopes are located in Sutherland, which is 230 miles from Observatory, Cape Town, where the headquarters is located.

I managed to get stuck in the sand - and decided from now on I only use my 4x4 to drive on to pavements. Bugger the sand :)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 16:22:19 »
If you don't like sand do not get anywhere near mud, it gets nasty (literally) very quickly  ;D

On my first 4x4 drive I got stuck for hours, luckily  a bunch of young guys that were passing by stopped to help, they practically lifted the car, after that I joined a 4x4 club and learned a bunch of things
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 16:45:41 »
Great images, Elsa!  I especially like the three-eland (?) shot and the sunrise (sunset?) shot, but others are no inferior.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 17:36:23 »
Armando - until I do a course - pavements it will be.
Akira - those are 3 Hartebees antelope. Eland is MUCH bigger and prettier (Eland is the biggest entelope in the world). This shot was taken at sunset. Thank you for the comments :)

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 18:16:03 »
Beautiful images, Elsa.
Especially the sunset (419).
I've been to the Karoo during springtime. A desert in bloom, very impressive/beautiful
Chris Dees

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 18:24:12 »
very, very cool, Elsa!
thanks for sharing thin info and photos. 

DougB

• NG Member
  • I IS NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 18:40:19 »
Elsa - simply beautiful captures !!!
Thanks for sharing

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 18:40:52 »
What a great trip that must have been. Wonderful images. My fav is also 419! Makes me want to lean back and relax.
Peter

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 08:35:48 »
Thank you kindly Chris, Brent, Doug and Peter!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 10:26:47 »
Elsa, you showed us a magnificent and interesting land and make me want to go there too. Great animal shots and relaxing sunset but what gets me the most is the opening image with the empty space

Thanks for sharing!

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 10:53:22 »
On the hunt with the 24-500mm ;), Elsa, great job, a shame attachments load kind of slow on my machine.