Author Topic: Midsummer's Eve  (Read 1131 times)

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Midsummer's Eve
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:31:34 »
I am in the Monsoon now and Midsummer's Eve is certainly not celebrated in Goa (We have St. Joao, celebrating John the Baptist, Saturday, but do miss Midsummer's Eve in Sweden and Denmark.
Anyone care to share some images since we have many members from Northern Europe?
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: Midsummer's Eve
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 12:06:15 »
Something like this, you mean? Taken just before midnight so light is dim but there is no true darkness.

Along the Oslo Fjord this is what you would observe, everywhere that night. Lots of fires ablaze, lots of booze, lots of interactions of unspeakable nature away from the blaze. All parties have a good time. Kids eat too many sausages and ice cream and the adults awake next morning with a thunderous hang-over and possible regret of what they did last night. Keeping up the old traditions as it were.

Eric Borgström

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Eric´s pictures
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 19:35:29 »
In Sweden we have the bonfires on 30th April. On Midsummer there is the Majstång which we (i.e. children and parents) dans around. I am afraid the hangover could be bad after herring and snaps later.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 04:10:12 »
Thanks Bjørn and Eric, yup , that is what I was asking for  :) ,  Maybe someone will take cameras out tonight.  Eric, Herring is in short supply here  ;) , I have a weakness for Curried Herring.  I never developed a taste for the rotten Herring from the North  ;D .   Aquavit I see occasionally when one of the Ex-Pats brings a bottle or two back from visits home but one shot (rationed) doesn't do much in the hangover cause.
I also miss the kräftskiva parties with friends, beer and aquavit.
Cheers,
Tom Hardin, Goa, India