Author Topic: Some pre-digital catwalk, 34 years later  (Read 1511 times)

paul_k

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Paul_k
Some pre-digital catwalk, 34 years later
« on: June 21, 2017, 11:28:54 »
Nowadays shooting catwalk is really easy, given the extreme high ISO capabilities and advanced AF of modern DSLR's (yes, and mirrorless too  ;) ), despite the fast moving subjects and at times tricky/bad lighting

But when I recently saw a appeal for material and clothes of the Dutch designer couple Puck and Hans, in particular famous in the 60's to 80's in and outside the Netherlands, I remembered I once shot a catwalk show of them in the early 80's (1983?). So I delved into my archives and dusted of some old slides I've had lying around for years

No digital back then, nor AF, no 2.8/80-200 zooms (there was an Nikon one around, but still experimental, and even if not for sale yet, way outside what I might have been able to afford), motordrive was an expensive option, and the only quality slide film for shooting under tungsten light was the ISO 64 Kodak EPY (ISO 160 EPJ wasn't around yet, and yes, there was the 3M 640T, but you could play marbles with that film's grain)

And since I at then time only was an aspiring photographer/photograhy student, I had little to no prestige nor standing, and at best was only just tolerated (earlier that day got kicked out of the dressing room trying to do some pre show backstage shooting, and when the actual runway show started only was allowed to stay after I produced a ticket I bought in advance, just to be sure I would get entry)

So when the show started, I crouched down as small as possible in my seat, with just my at that time already old Canon FTqL and FL 1.8/85mm lens (did have some Nikon gear, but decided not to take it along as I, given the hostility I met earlier, didn't want to appear too professional). Only got to shoot one and a half 36 shots (!) EPY (pushed to ISO 125) for the whole event  ::)

I nowadays still (at times) shoot an occasional runway show with my D3 and D800's, and 2.8/70-200 VRII and/or 4/200-400 VR (and multi hundred shot CF cards)
Admittedly the results/IQ/exposure are more consistent (and much easier to get), but looking back I think I nevertheless managed to get some decent images back then

Looking back though I'm quite amazed at what I succeeded to get despite my handicapped equipment (stop down TTL light metering, which meant that the viewfinder would blacken out as the lens/aperture closed down to determine the correct exposure) no motordrive, no AF, and an angry show organizer breathing down my neck

Here are some of the shot's I took back then
I've been told they now are part of an temporary exhibition at the Amsterdam Museum featuring the work of Puck and Hans

So there was (photographic) life possible before digital, AF, super 'corrected' lenses and image stabilizing  ;D

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Some pre-digital catwalk, 34 years later
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 13:31:13 »
Great story, and the results seem to be worth the trouble
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 13:39:13 »
you could play marbles with that film's grain  ;D

Great story and results. I´m starting to play with manual lenses and it is a great place to learn and to find unique views. Will not go to that for work with life shows ...but it certanly gives great understanding to use the tools better on top of everything else.

Like the 3rd, more the 1st and love the 2nd one.

Thanks for sharing!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 14:48:32 »
Great story and results given the constraints that you were working under.  The fact that your Puck and Hans images are now on display gives you a much delayed last laugh against the organisers.

It is the second shot for me also.

Whilst it is off topic, it is nice to see such healthy and attractive looking young women as models who are clearly not anorexic or bolemic.
Hugh Gunn

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 15:53:17 »
Indeed, very nice images 😉 And a reminder that "good old times" only exist in our selective memories: everything was more difficult (if not impossible), and with (technical) results which can not tip to what is doable nowadays.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν