Author Topic: Dusk in the Waters of Japan  (Read 2543 times)

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Dusk in the Waters of Japan
« on: June 18, 2017, 09:01:52 »
D800E with 20mm AI-s @f8

PeterN

• NG Member
Re: Dusk in the Waters of Japan
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 12:16:52 »
That must have been a spectacular view. Thanks for sharing.
Peter

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 22:52:22 »
Mongo, these are beautiful, and I'm glad you seem to have enjoyed your stay in Japan.  I especially like the orange-blue gradations.  Were these shot on Seto Inland Sea?

To my eye, the perspective of these images doesn't look too steep, considering that they were shot with a very wide lens.  Is that a matter of the camera angle?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 07:20:18 »
thank you for your comments Peter and Akira.

Akira, unfortunately , Mongo cannot recall the name of the sea where these were taken but you are probably correct.
In terms of the steepness, this was probably due to the height of the ship Mongo was on and how many floors up he was when taking these images. If anything, the wide angle may have slightly lessened the appearance of steepness.

It is an understatement to say Mongo seemed to have enjoyed his stay in Japan. If it was up to Mongo, he would live there as long as locals and the law would permit ! absolutely love it better than anywhere else.

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 13:14:52 »
lovely skies, Mongo!   

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2017, 14:55:51 »
Colorful images !
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2017, 18:10:10 »
Mongo, thanks for the details.  Your pictures always have some magic in them.

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 11:08:49 »
Thanks also  to brent and Armando

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 19:29:03 »
The colours are indeed spectacular and the location a source of jealousy and envy, but these images seem a little overcooked? I think #1 would be better with the blobby sun cropped out, and all would improve with a slightly less heavy presentation. Mongo's acute artistic sense must have been overwhelmed by the intensely romantic scene.    8) ;D

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 23:58:32 »
The colours are indeed spectacular and the location a source of jealousy and envy, but these images seem a little overcooked? I think #1 would be better with the blobby sun cropped out, and all would improve with a slightly less heavy presentation. Mongo's acute artistic sense must have been overwhelmed by the intensely romantic scene.    8) ;D

David, always great to have your valued input. In many respects, Mongo cannot disagree with you. Whilst it was, in real life, a spectacular colour affair, the photoshop post processing may have added a touch more than reality. In this regard, Mongo often finds that the auto curves tool either gets it very right or very wrong. In these cases, it got it perhaps a little wrong which caused Mongo to think that near enough was good enough and may have left the images as photoshop though correct. That is just Mongo being lazy.

In relation to #1, also, cannot disagree with you. It was an extreme dynamic range that had to be dealt with. It would not have been possible to get both the sun and other elements reasonably correctly exposed (without filters etc) nor in post processing. So, Mongo went straight for the "wrong but dramatic" approach. Had not thought to crop the image as you have kindly suggested as the sun was a feature of the image but in hindsight, it may have been better cropped out. Will try it at home and see how it comes up.

One final thing to possibly correct. Mongo usually only uses 20mm for these kind of shots. On this trip he also had only one other lens in his bag with him i.e. a Tamron 24-135mm SP. It is possible some of the images may have been taken with the wider end of this lens. Apologises for any unintended misdescription.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 00:36:22 »
One final thing to possibly correct. Mongo usually only uses 20mm for these kind of shots. On this trip he also had only one other lens in his bag with him i.e. a Tamron 24-135mm SP. It is possible some of the images may have been taken with the wider end of this lens. Apologises for any unintended misdescription.

Ah, that perhaps explains why I felt the perspective not very steep.  Except for the last one, all images look like they were shot with much longer lenses.  The sun should appear a lot smaller in the images taken with a 20mm lens, unless the frames are heavily cropped.

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 14:46:14 »
great pictures, especially 2 and 4 I like for showing such a wide spectrum
Thomas Stellwag

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2017, 01:48:00 »
Akira, sorry about the possible error in lens size earlier.

Thomas, thank you for looking in and for your kind feedback/comments.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2017, 03:00:28 »
Akira, sorry about the possible error in lens size earlier.

That doesn't matter, Mongo, so far as the images are great!