Author Topic: Viewnx 2 not compatable files help please  (Read 3227 times)

murdo1344

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Viewnx 2 not compatable files help please
« on: June 14, 2017, 21:34:47 »
Hi can someone help please? I have been using View NX 2 for a couple of years with no problems. Today i was sorting out some files when the programme stopped and said error. When i went to look at my files again 15 out of the 30 were not visible as thumbnails and when i click on they it says they are unsupported files. I tried opening in bridge but just the same message. The screen shot shows what is on my screen, the edge of one of the ok files is on the bottom RHS.
Thank you

murdo1344

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Viewnx 2 not compatable files help please
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2017, 21:35:53 »
file now

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2017, 23:38:27 »
First, move the 'good' files to a safe location. Then, try to download all files from you camera again. You might have encountered a communication glitch (bit error). Before doing the download, check that all cable connections are securely in position and if the same error(s) occur again, try another cable.

Using a card reader is often the safer and better method for transferring files to your computer.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 00:01:47 »
A final point to observe is you might have your computer hard drive beginning to develop bit errors. At least run a CHKDSK or equivalent action on it.

With today's trend of  ever increasing disk sizes, the risk of bit errors unfortunately also grows. Even a quite new disk can get into such trouble. Do pay attention to the need for backup of important files.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2017, 06:52:53 »
I had problems with ViewNX2 (last version) where I was seeing thumbnail that were of NEF(s) from a different folder. My computer is running Win7, SP1. I deleted the cache for VNX2 and that fixed the problem temporarily but days later it was back. I finally installed ViewNX-i and it's been working fine. ViewNX-i will uninstall ViewNX2 but I understand VNX2 can be reinstated. I haven't tried this.

I'm concerned about using any version of Nikon Transfer 2 that came included with ViewNX2 as it is now unsupported. Also I've seen damaged NEF(s) when using a version of Nikon Transfer 2 that is older than the one that shipped with the camera.

I use Nikon Transfer 2 on Windows but I'm careful to keep it up to date.

When I read about apperantly damaged NEF(s) I think of the first few NEF(s) from my D800 that were damaged by uploading with software that shipped with my D300s.

I hope something here helps,

Dave Hartman

Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2017, 07:12:04 »
I have been using the programs  Teracopy for file transport and FastStone for viewing.

murdo1344

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2017, 09:06:22 »
A final point to observe is you might have your computer hard drive beginning to develop bit errors. At least run a CHKDSK or equivalent action on it.

With today's trend of  ever increasing disk sizes, the risk of bit errors unfortunately also grows. Even a quite new disk can get into such trouble. Do pay attention to the need for backup of important files.

Thank you this might be my issue

murdo1344

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2017, 09:06:53 »
Thank you this might be my issue
Thanks i hadn't heard of them

murdo1344

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2017, 09:07:35 »
I had problems with ViewNX2 (last version) where I was seeing thumbnail that were of NEF(s) from a different folder. My computer is running Win7, SP1. I deleted the cache for VNX2 and that fixed the problem temporarily but days later it was back. I finally installed ViewNX-i and it's been working fine. ViewNX-i will uninstall ViewNX2 but I understand VNX2 can be reinstated. I haven't tried this.

I concerned about using any version of Nikon Transfer 2 that came included with ViewNX2 as it is now unsupported. Also I've seen damaged NEF(s) when using a version of Nikon Transfer 2 that is older than the one that shipped with the camera.

I use Nikon Transfer 2 on Windows but I'm careful to keep it up to date.

When I read about apperantly damaged NEF(s) I think of the first few NEF(s) from my D800 that were damaged by uploading with software that shipped with my D300s.

I hope something here helps,

Dave Hartman
Thank you i didn't know this

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2017, 11:30:17 »
I reverted to ViewNX2 ver. 2.10.2 from 2.10.3 (the last released). The latter version consequently crashed in thumbnail view when it encountered certain raw files in a folder. There was no system which files caused the crash, but it was specific to certain files.  Ver.  2.10.2 is pretty stable.
Øivind Tøien

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2017, 12:17:59 »
I reverted to ViewNX2 ver. 2.10.2 from 2.10.3 (the last released). The latter version consequently crashed in thumbnail view when it encountered certain raw files in a folder. There was no system which files caused the crash, but it was specific to certain files.  Ver.  2.10.2 is pretty stable.

I found I could crash VNX2 v2.10.3 with files that were straitened in CNX2 or CNX-D but not cropped. If I cropped the image to the full visible size VNX2 would not crash on attempting to create a thumbnail. By trial and error I narrowed the crashes down to NEF(s) that had been straitened in CNX2 or CNX-D on several occasions. I attribute this to a lack of error code at the least. If VNX2 v2.10.3 can't create a thumbnail it should display a place holder and move to the next not crash.

In a similar way I found PS CS2 would sometimes exhibit layer registration errors if I used Canvas Size and didn't crop to the full visible image.

Dave Hartman

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2017, 12:51:27 »

I also found that the 2.10.2 is stable and 2.10.3 has some bugs that crash it.

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2017, 14:23:58 »
....  I tried opening in bridge but just the same message. The screen shot shows what is on my screen, the edge of one of the ok files is on the bottom RHS.
Thank you

I'm pretty sure it's nothing to do with ViewNX2.
and pretty sure again it's due to corrupted images .. probably what Bjørn described with the disk errors.

I've got a few corrupted raw files, did all manner of disk checks, and whatnot .. no luck.
I'm sure my issue was a result of a failed file update/transfer in maintaining copies of files.
Nothing to do with Nikon's Transfer!
My corrupted images happened years after they had been confirmed to be OK.

Have you done file backups of those corrupted images at any time in the past?
If so, are you trying to view the backed up versions, or the originals?
Have you had any file operations whatsoever to do with those files?

In my old backup routine, I used to have two external drives for backing up too, as well as a local HDD on the PC.
The two external were USB connected. Had trouble with the USB connection, and a transfer stalled and failed. NEFs were checked against the source and destination and apparently were fine.
Little did I know tho that the destination file must have been corrupted .. just could see that easily using raw file viewing software.
At the time I used to use either Windows copy/paste or move feature, and or RichCopy to move loads of files. I think I was doing a wholesale move of an entire archive where the corruption must have happened.

I store all files in complicated folder structures as it's easy to maintain this way.
Only problem is you can't easily see all files due to the complex folder structures.
But I found the only program that is usable in any way to show all files in all folders at the same time is XnViewMP.

It allows you to view all those thumbnails in one borwser window even if you have your images in multiple directories .. saves having to browse through thousands of directories trying to spot more corrupted raw files.
If you try XNView in this mode, note that it does take an excessively long time to generate all the required thumbnails and scan through all the folders. Program will not respond until it's done it's searching.
Once it's done, and it displays all the files in the main directory you've pointed it too .. it will show thumbnails as images. if a thumbnail does show as an image, then it's also most likely corrupted as well.
I use the Page Down key to scroll quickly through the vast numbers of thumbnails in a reasonable time, and scanning each page for non image thumbnails.
Note that you'd probably have to set file/image filters too so that system or settings files don't impede this quick scanning method.

Note that I have about 20 corrupted NEF files, so far unable to fix them with any of the tools I've found to try too.
One of the corrupted images was tracked back and the uncorrupted original was found. File size was exactly the same in both files too .. so looking at file sizes alone may not indicate if a file has been corrupted or not.
I have discovered some corrupted raw files without the help of this XnViewMP software, but I found many more 'hidden' in my archives from many years back, images I haven't 'touched' for a very long time!
Arthur

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2017, 22:00:33 »
I had a system crash that took out four MBR(s) at once. I was setting up a new drive for my operating systems as the old one was over heating. I forgot to un-cable my data HD(s). I used Stellar Phoenix data recovery software as well as backups from external drives. Stellar Phoenix recovered 30 Photoshop PSD files as thumbnails only. I lost 1 TIF scan of a print.

I mention this as it's possible to think one has recovered a complete file when all that was obtained was a thumbnail or preview.

I lost no NEF(s) or GIF(s) from P&S cameras. I was very lucky.