Author Topic: Kickstarter new lens named Lydith from meyer optics.  (Read 2744 times)

Tri-x

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • HMulders.eu
I just discovered this on kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/meyeroptik/enchant-your-photography-unleash-the-magic-lydith

Any thoughts on this one?
Looks interesting

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
Re: Kickstarter new lens named Lydith from meyer optics.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 22:52:11 »
It might be a great lens or not. The copy at the link doesn't tell me any reason why this is going to be better than say, my 35/2.0 AI or 28/2.8 AIS. All it says is fund me, I'm wonderful.

It looks like it's a fully manual lens: manual aperture, manual focus with no Auto Aperture or full aperture viewing. It isn't even preset. I could be wrong. I didn't see that the copy said it was an auto aperture lens.

Looks like it has cat's eye and slightly swirly bokeh at what I assume is f/3.5. I'll recommend a 35/2.0 AI instead or a 28/2.0 AI or a 28/2.8 AIS.

Dave Hartman

I own a 35/2.0 AI and a 28/2.0 AIS. I've never owned the 28/2.8 AIS so I'm going on reputation for that one.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 23:01:01 »
Looks interesting but hard to tell how it performs from these 'marketing'  stuff.   The close focus distance of 0,16m is  tempting.   I wasn't able to find something about a price?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2017, 23:07:11 »
Looks interesting but hard to tell how it performs from these 'marketing'  stuff.   The close focus distance of 0,16m is  tempting.   I wasn't able to find something about a price?

I gather the price is in the boxes to the right with the various kits. Looks like $699.00 and up. I was wondering about the price but then noticed the kits and pledge prices.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2017, 00:53:35 »
One thing I found out when looking into the Meter Optik lenses more closely is that you can buy them from the Russian or Chinese manufacturers for 1/3rd of the Meyer price.

Mitakon makes their 35mm f2, 85mm f2 and some other lenses, and the faster Somnium 85mm f1,5 is a rebranded Helios 40-2. With that track record, I'm not going to pay a lot of attention to anything new they market at a zero risk policy using crowdfunding. This business model reminds me a lot of the slow decline of one of the companies I used to work for 10 years ago, just with modern means

The company in question did not survive
Buddy

Tri-x

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • HMulders.eu
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 20:51:59 »
Thanks for the tip. Mitakon, I didn't know of their existence. This 1.2 85 is very tempting. But also the more affordable 2.8 135mm had my attention.
How are these lenses quality wise?

the solitaire

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2017, 21:47:18 »
I handled a few of the Mitakon lenses in a store recently, and they feel very well manufactured when I took them out of the box. I'm not sure how they will be in 20 or 30 years. I know my Nikkors are good now, were good 30 years ago and will continue to be good for a few years to come.

In time I might try one of the more affordable Mitakon lenses to see how they hold up in every day use.

I'm not averse to 3rd party lenses though. I used a Tokina lens for quite a while and that ne was manufactured as good as, if not better then some of the Nikkor lenses
Buddy

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2017, 00:44:26 »
I have the original, never inmpressed me that much ;-)
formerly known as kds315

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 22:48:20 »
One thing I found out when looking into the Meter Optik lenses more closely is that you can buy them from the Russian or Chinese manufacturers for 1/3rd of the Meyer price.

Mitakon makes their 35mm f2, 85mm f2 and some other lenses, and the faster Somnium 85mm f1,5 is a rebranded Helios 40-2. With that track record, I'm not going to pay a lot of attention to anything new they market at a zero risk policy using crowdfunding. This business model reminds me a lot of the slow decline of one of the companies I used to work for 10 years ago, just with modern means

The company in question did not survive

AFAIK Meyer claims that their lenses are refurbished russian lenses - i.e. the glass is supposed to be high quality Schott glass fit manually into the lens body.

I own the 100 mm 2.8. It doesn't provide aperture information to the camera (unlike e.g. Zeiss ZF.2 lenses, Voigtländer SL II lenses, or Nikkor AI-P lenses). Flare resistance is poor, bokeh blur very special, and of course it provides the swirls many people are keen on. I don't know to which extent these observations translate to this new kickstarter lens.

I agree with the comment above that many of the characteristics of the above mentioned lens can be obtained with some of the Nikkor classics.
Guenther Something