Author Topic: Biotar 58mm vs helios 44 2 part II  (Read 3811 times)

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
Biotar 58mm vs helios 44 2 part II
« on: June 11, 2017, 18:36:34 »
some more samples

Thomas Stellwag

the solitaire

• NG Member
Re: Biotar 58mm vs helios 44 2 part II
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2017, 00:30:11 »
In all those samples I experience the first of the twins as more pleasing. Is the first the Biotar?
Buddy

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2017, 03:48:05 »
Thanks for the samples again. the 1st (Jena) looks more refined but the 2nd has more contrast to the detriment of the image  :o :o :o

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 10:19:19 »
@ Buddy, yes, the Biotar is first one

@ Richard, this Helios has more contrast - no idea how the others do, I do not find my other 2,
treatement was the same, just putting RAW in C1 and no more modification than formatting it into 900px JPeg
looking at the nice portraits, done in your initial thread, it is a clear disadvantage
my first answer was related to modification thoughts by someone with much less experience than you have,
here I thought a cheaper Helios would be a good  start, as there are already some posts in the net, how to do it
Thomas Stellwag

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2017, 10:30:23 »
Thanks,Thomas. Your samples gave me a very good understanding. I currently have 2 options on making this fit on a Nikon body and I will show you guys what happens after I make it  :o :o :o

I am currently bidding on a cheap Biotar but it the price got inflated then I will just make do with a Helios ::)

ArendV

• NG Member
  • The Netherlands
    • flickr
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2017, 11:38:05 »
I don't want to disturb your nice comparison Thomas - so let me know if you do not appreciate this addition and I will remove it - but I am happy with the performance of my Helios 44-3M on the Sony A7 wide open.

Helios Roses by Arend, on Flickr

And I have used it on the NEX-6 in the past as well, performing a bit softer wide open vs. the A7 (and it seems my Helios is really attracted to roses......)

Helios 44-3 2/58 @f/2 by Arend, on Flickr
Arend

Thomas Stellwag

• NG Supporter
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2017, 13:19:04 »
@ ArendV,  my "comparison" was nothing special,  add your pics whenever you want.
Having only Helis 44-2(s) I am as well interested in the newer versions
...and btw, your pics are nicer than mine  :)
Thomas Stellwag

ArendV

• NG Member
  • The Netherlands
    • flickr
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2017, 13:56:36 »
Thanks Thomas. Helios lenses are known for their sample variation, so you will also see a large variation in results (within and between the different versions). Good news is they are affordable so you can test a few and pick the one you like best.
Arend