Author Topic: Three new Nikkors officially annouced  (Read 12737 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Three new Nikkors officially annouced
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2017, 03:06:11 »
The problem with 10-20 (and all the other AF-P lenses) is that D5600 and 3400 are the only cameras that can turn the VR off, which can be troublesome if you mount the camera on a tripod.  I'm not sure if there would be firmware updates for otherwise compatible bodies...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2017, 07:07:24 »

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2017, 09:38:51 »
Here we supposed learn about "massive fisheye perspective" .... Can photographic writing be any worse ?? Designating 1:3 as "unique macro" fades in comparison.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2017, 20:12:40 »
The 8/2.8 fisheye uses equidistant (linear scaled) projection projection, so the image height, measured from the center of the image is proportional to the angle of view measured from the center.

A full frame fisheye with equidistant projection and 180° angle of view from corner to corner should have focal length of image diagonal/pi.
  For FX it should be 43.3/3.14 = 13.8mm (14mm)
The Nikon 16/2.8 fisheye has slightly longer focal length so the image magnification in the center of the image is slightly greater, but with 180° angle of view the corners are more compressed. So, compared to the equidistant projection it has greater barrel distortion. The older 16/3.5 has only 170° angle of view so the corner distortion is slightly less and closer to equidistant projection. The Canon and Sigma 15mm fisheyes should also be closer to the equidistant projection. I prefer this projection, the Nikon 16/2.8 has a bit too high distortion towards the edges of the image, so hopefully the new fisheye zoom is an improvement.

Sigma clearly states that they use the equisolid angle projection method for thier circular fisheyes for FX and DX, and 10mm diagonal fisheye for DX.  There is no mention of the projection method for the FX 15mm, but it should be safe to assume that its projection method is the same as that for the others.

The rectlinear fisheye Nikkors use equidistant projectcon method.

To my eyes, the exaggeration of the central area is stronger on the Nikkor primes.  But the new fisheye zoom at 15mm, the central area seems to be less exaggerated.

Samyang uses the stereographic projection method for all of their diagonal fisheyes.  The image looks more natural, and the central area looks least exaggerated.  This mehod isn't suitable for the images of extreme perspectives, but I prefer it for using a fisheye as an ultrawide lens.  I loved Samyang 7.5mm fisheye for m4/3.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2017, 20:25:40 »
The image circle of Sigma 4.5mm fisheye for APS-C format is 12.5mm which is a bit too small for the 2:3 still frame.  But it can yield the uncut circular image when the APS-C cameras are used to shoot 9:16 videos (even the smaller Canon).

Considering that Erik had to make a big effort to reduce the image circle to get the circular image for video, there could be video shooters who had wished the zoom to yield a bit smaller imgage circle at the widest end...

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2017, 13:01:09 »
I also wonder if Nikon changed the projection method of the fisheye.  Its focal length is 15mm when it works as diagonal fisheye on FX, unlike the traditional 16mm ones.  Sigma 15mm is based on a different projection method, if I remember correctly.

I noticed that the new zoom fisheye employs the equisolid angle projection method instead of Nikon's conventional equidistance projection method.  (Apparently the projection method is mentioned only in Nikon's Japanese website.)

Now my question about the shortened focal length is solved.  :)

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: June 17, 2017, 17:38:40 »
If not already linked to here, a nice review of the zoom fisheye:

http://blogg.astrofotografen.se/2017/06/nikon-fisheye-8-15mm-f35-45e-ed-review_15.html
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #37 on: June 17, 2017, 20:57:15 »
Just got the lens. :D
First @ 8mm F8 ISO64
Second @ 15mm F5.6 ISO64
Chris Dees

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2017, 21:07:06 »
Apart from the nice images, Chris.
What you say? Dump all the other fishes?
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2017, 21:26:36 »
Thanks Jakov.
Yes I already sold the Sigma 8mm and Nikon 10.5
Next is the chipped 16/2.8 AI-S
Chris Dees

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2017, 21:31:09 »
That says a lot Chris. Enjoy it

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2017, 22:02:22 »
Chris, these are beautiful fishing images to make many to want ones...

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2017, 22:04:55 »
Okay, I've never owned, or even shot, a fisheye, but I think I understand them, somewhat. With that in mind, I have a question. If the question is not applicable, please let me know, and I'll go back to knowing absolutely nothing about a fisheye, much less somewhat.

In order not to include one's feet in the image they need to extend the camera further away from their body. I won't get into the part where that would make good technique harder to accomplish, at lest for me. But, with the camera extended, the eye is no longer able to see through the viewfinder, so one would have to go to Live View. If one did that then wouldn't they need to block the viewfinder to keep stray light entering it from altering the exposure? If so, how  did folks manage before camera had the Live View function?

Yes, I know that the use of a tripod would allow one to setup the image using the VF, then step back and pull the trigger, but it looks to me like we are seeing a lot of hand held fisheye work here. If I sound confused, well, I am.  :-\
Carl

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2017, 22:11:11 »
Okay, I've never owned, or even shot, a fisheye, but I think I understand them, somewhat. With that in mind, I have a question. If the question is not applicable, please let me know, and I'll go back to knowing absolutely nothing about a fisheye, much less somewhat.

In order not to include one's feet in the image they need to extend the camera further away from their body. I won't get into the part where that would make good technique harder to accomplish, at lest for me. But, with the camera extended, the eye is no longer able to see through the viewfinder, so one would have to go to Live View. If one did that then wouldn't they need to block the viewfinder to keep stray light entering it from altering the exposure? If so, how  did folks manage before camera had the Live View function?

Yes, I know that the use of a tripod would allow one to setup the image using the VF, then step back and pull the trigger, but it looks to me like we are seeing a lot of hand held fisheye work here. If I sound confused, well, I am.  :-\
Any lens that has that large a FOV you have to be careful with hands, feet, tripod feet, unintended other objects in the frame.
The only time I put my circular or full frame fisheye on a tripod is to take images of the night sky.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2017, 22:19:34 »
Any lens that has that large a FOV you have to be careful with hands, feet, tripod feet, unintended other objects in the frame.
The only time I put my circular or full frame fisheye on a tripod is to take images of the night sky.

Thanks, I'm aware that a large FOV lens demands attention to keep unwanted things out of an image, but that doesn't answer my questions.
Carl