Author Topic: Three new Nikkors officially annouced  (Read 12739 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Three new Nikkors officially annouced
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 10:57:00 »
I also wonder if Nikon changed the projection method of the fisheye.  Its focal length is 15mm when it works as diagonal fisheye on FX, unlike the traditional 16mm ones.  Sigma 15mm is based on a different projection method, if I remember correctly.

The 8/2.8 fisheye uses equidistant (linear scaled) projection projection, so the image height, measured from the center of the image is proportional to the angle of view measured from the center.

A full frame fisheye with equidistant projection and 180° angle of view from corner to corner should have focal length of image diagonal/pi.
  For FX it should be 43.3/3.14 = 13.8mm (14mm)
The Nikon 16/2.8 fisheye has slightly longer focal length so the image magnification in the center of the image is slightly greater, but with 180° angle of view the corners are more compressed. So, compared to the equidistant projection it has greater barrel distortion. The older 16/3.5 has only 170° angle of view so the corner distortion is slightly less and closer to equidistant projection. The Canon and Sigma 15mm fisheyes should also be closer to the equidistant projection. I prefer this projection, the Nikon 16/2.8 has a bit too high distortion towards the edges of the image, so hopefully the new fisheye zoom is an improvement.

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 11:10:15 »
wondering if there is an IR hotspot with this new and very interesting lens... my old 8mm fisheye does not.. which was a nice surprise on my D800E conversion.

will have to try out as soon as my local dealer gets a sample
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 11:13:19 »
Hoods for the new lenses:
HB-80  AF-S 8-15 fisheye
HB-81  AF-P 10-20 DX VR
HB-83  AF-S 28/1.4

HB-82 is not allocated yet, so there must be another lens coming soon...
I assume the hood for the fisheye is for using on DX cameras?

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 11:58:34 »
Yes that is curious. Apart from the Nikon 10.5 fisheye, and the Canon 24 STM, I can't think of any compact wide "DX" DSLR primes from the two main players, or any third party manufacturer. Plenty of wide zooms, including some fast limited range zooms by Sigma and Tokina, but no primes. Yet that is what people have been asking for, for years. You'd think there would be a ready market and at least one of the third party makers would have stepped in by now.

There will be a good reason.  Tokina, eg, previously made a 17mm f/3.5 FX and they make DX wide zooms, so they have the know-how to make a wide DX prime.  The obvious reason they don't do it is they don't think it will make money.

Because DX and FX have the same registration distance a (say) 15mm for DX has to be as retrofocus as an FX 15mm, which creates the same degree of asymmetry and therefore distortion and coma for both formats, and the same need for correcting elements - or, as in the case of the new 10-20, small maximum apertures.  The DX lenses need less covering power, so the front element does not need to be as large as for an FX lens of the same actual focal length, but there is little or no DX benefit at equivalent focal lengths for wide lenses: the Nikon DX 12-24/4 is exactly the same price ($1000) and size (77mm filters) as the 16-35/4 FX, and the 10-24 DX variable aperture is the same size as and more expensive than the 18-35 variable aperture FX. 

DX wide primes would have to compete not only with the DX wide zooms, but also with the option of going FX.  Most FX lenses in the 14-15mm range are buttock-clenchingly expensive, and it is not obvious that 14 or 15mm DX primes would be price competitive with either alternative.  The 14-24/2.8 FX is, in round numbers, twice the price of the 12-24/4 DX - it is also a stop faster, but if we take that price difference as the DX benefit at the same actual focal length a DX version of the Nikon 14/2.8 might cost $900, and a DX version of the Zeiss 15/2.8 might cost $1000.  That is not competitive with a zoom for a casual user, and for a serious wide-angle user it is hard to see it as competitive with buying an FX body and a 20/1.8.  (The Irix lenses may break the mould, if it turns out that the cost is low only because they have reduced their profit margin). 

Many people - including me - say they want wide DX primes, but when Thom Hogan asked his readers to rank possible lenses according to how likely they would be to buy them the picture changed: zooms were the first choice (http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/desirable-dx-lenses-accordi.html). 

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 12:42:04 »
That fish is very very desirable, one fish that can do it all.

Had my eye on the Canon 8-15/4 a while now but never pulled the trigger, it's good to have another option now from Nikon :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 16:19:54 »
I have asked Nikon Nordic to provide me with sample lenses for review.

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 17:05:06 »
Please test out the coma performance of the new 28mm f/1.4E :)
Much appreciated!
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 18:45:57 »

Would be very interested in the IR performance. Circular fishes make for quite nice IR landscapes.
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 20:51:32 »

Good, and yes, I'm suspect of the quality of the 10-20 zoom if DPR has the price correct at $309. That's quite inexpensive for such a lens, IMO. We'll see what your take on it is.
Carl

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2017, 21:18:42 »
Some DX optimised primes is needed ;)

With the same flange focal distance of 46.50mm wide primes for DX won't be small, fast and give the high quality image DX needs. They could be large, fast and expensive and then they would not sell.

Long primes aren't needed. There are plenty of FX longer primes that work fine on DX. A 300mm lens on DX is a longer lens relative to the format and though some cringe at calling this reach that's what I call it. A 300mm lens has more reach on an FX camera than a 5x7 or 8x10. A 300mm lens isn't a long lens to me on those formats. On 8x10 it will give the angle of view of a 150mm lens on 4x5".

I personally feel it's unwize to stock  up on DX lenses. FX is the better format for wide and normal lenses. DX has advantage with macro and long telephotos due to the longer focal lengths relative to the format. Stocking up on DX primes would make moving to or adding FX more expensive.

Nikon isn't going to make ultra wide angle primes for DX unless their market research shows they will sell and make a profit. For those who want them buy an FX camera and buy a the ultra wides you want. A person doesn't have to choose between DX and FX unless they just can't afford to own both.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2017, 23:15:58 »
I want a 15mm or 16mm prime, fish or non fish, but full frame.

Now they offer a Zoom that puts circular and fill-frame-fish in one package.

For me the 15mm part is enough. If that part shows to be worth 1500 Euros I will get one, otherwise I look into a used 3.5/16 Ai-S
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2017, 15:53:40 »
the new fisheye is GORGEOUS  :o :o :o

Yes, but big and not so light compared to my 16/3.5 AI.
I was hoping for a 16/3.5 E AFS that was at least as good as the '70s vintage Nikkor . . . .
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2017, 16:30:24 »
My Nikon contact assured me he would do his utmost to get samples of these new lenses for reviewing. I think they will be very exciting lenses and look forward to have them available.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2017, 16:52:15 »
Looking forward to your review, Bjørn!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Steven Paulsen

• NG Supporter
  • Cumpulsive Tinkerer
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2017, 02:07:12 »
The fisheye, created a "Wow," but it's out off my price range & possibly will be another wide that will not focus correctly on my D7100. The 10-20, right off the bat scared me because of the low price.  Whoops.... The D5200 focuses wides fine. (Scale/DOF, manual focus on my Tokie 12-24.)

The big however.......(I'm a bit of a fanatic on 180+ degree circular images.)

(I will patiently wait for Mr. R's take on the new lenses.)