Author Topic: Bo-Kaap  (Read 1606 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Bo-Kaap
« on: May 27, 2017, 17:31:42 »
The Bo Kaap (Upper Cape) is a very popular shooting spot in Cape Town - due to its very colorful history (and dwellings) of the Malay Slaves. They are not slaves anymore obviously - but the area is still known as the Cape Malay Upper Cape - where the descendants of the slaves live. Once this was the area where the slaves were sent to live (outside the city borders) is now prime property -and a bit unaffordable! 
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
Re: Bo-Kaap
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 17:42:44 »
nice shots... i need to get back to some photojournalistic material..
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 18:08:22 »
Thanks Bob. I had the most amazing client on tour with me yesterday! He is from Denver, Colorado. A ball on fun
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2017, 18:31:09 »
Elsa, the B&Ws are superb. Especially #2 and #3, the way the strong light plays through the scene.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2017, 18:42:30 »
Thank you very much Andrea

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2017, 22:19:38 »
Really interesting series, Elsa. I didn't realize that there were slaves in Cape Town.

Both the B&B and colour versions work really well. To me, the b&w versions underscore the tragic history of the place, and the vivid colours reflect contemporary life there.
Mike Selby - Sydney

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2017, 23:27:57 »
Elsa, I like all of them.  8)
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2017, 02:25:37 »
This series makes me think about different things: history, emotion, daily life...  Thanks for sharing.

The street scenes reminds me a little bit of those of Italy or Greek, but something is different.  I'm not sure if that is because of the people living there, the stylistic difference of the houses, the difference of the lighting due to the difference of the latitude or just the matter of the direction of the street...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2017, 09:28:18 »
Thanks all.

Back around 1700 or so, slaves were brought in to the Cape from Malasia, Indonesia and surrounds. These became known as the Cape Malay Slaves, they are all Muslim, a bit different to the rest of the Muslims in that their traditions and belief system is specific to this group. Way back -
 as slaves - they were not allowed to live in the centre of the city with the the British and Dutch - so they were pushed out to the boundaries - this area is now prime property - with very beautiful views. The Cape Malay remained in this area - have their mosques there, and traditional Cape Malay restaurants (especially curry dishes) which they are famous for. The Bo-Kaap is a favourite amongst tourist. They are known for their very tasty curries and other food. We no longer have apartheid and they are very much part of the rest -  I dont even see them having a different coloured skin. They are no different to me - they just cook better. (and pray 5 times a day)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2017, 23:18:14 »
Seems like an interesting location, not much people out on the streets
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 07:15:15 »
Armando - we were very very lucky where we were shooting - usually its rather busy. It is also difficult to avoid shooting vehicles - the streets are cobbled and narrow. There were plenty of people around, in fact a whole tour bust with probably 70 odd  people, just around the corner from where we were

Rick Waldroup

• NG Member
    • Rick Waldroup Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2017, 14:59:51 »
These are excellent.  Great street work.  Makes me wish I was there. 

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2017, 17:09:53 »
Thanks Rick. I will wait for you on the pavement :)