Author Topic: CAMBO Mini-Actus EDU Version with New Rear Standard  (Read 1701 times)

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
CAMBO Mini-Actus EDU Version with New Rear Standard
« on: May 24, 2017, 16:10:41 »
Those of you interested in the Cambo Actus Mini and want to use the Fuji GFX can order the new version, which has risers (front and back) and swappable camera boards.

However, those of us with the existing Actus Mini and cameras like the Nikon D810, the Sony A7R2, and other small cameras know that with our earlier versions we cannot swap camera boards, but rather have to (and with VERY tiny screws) mount a camera bayonet for the camera required. This is no fun.

Although not listed in the standard Cambo catalog, there is a special-order that gets you a rear-standard replacement for the Mini Actus you already have, with no riser, but with swappable boards. It is less expensive than trying to get the whole GFX-ready Cambo Mini Actus and with less weight and no riser (which makes the whole system more stable). If interested, you would want to order:

Actus EDU Multi-Mount Rear Standard ($739).

Cambo Actus Camera Bayonet Swappable Board ($214) for each board.

You can transfer your current bayonet easily and can save money (and vibrations), plus you can swap this new rear standard with your current rear standard in seconds. This version of the upgrade for the Mini is a little hard to get, but if you contact Steve Hendrix at Capture Integration and explain you want the EDU (educational) version of the swappable version, I imagine he can order if for you. That’s how I did it.

Here is a quick photo of my older Cambo Mini Actus with the new rear standard with swappable bayonets. Note: the more expensive (and higher and more weight) GFX version includes levelers and a geared rear-standard shift knob.

I don’t need the levelers or the geared knob, and would rather have the smaller size, less weight, etc. Plus, I still have my old rear-standard that swaps out with the new in seconds. Note, the photo here of my Mini Actus has a longer rail and bellows, which helps a lot. The Sony A7R2 is mounted on the Actus.

MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: CAMBO Mini-Actus EDU Version with New Rear Standard
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 16:50:03 »
That looks like a very competent solution Michael.

I assume one could have a similar tilt arrangement on the rear as already present on the front standard? In my view camera days, I used rear movements a lot.

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
Re: CAMBO Mini-Actus EDU Version with New Rear Standard
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 16:59:49 »
That looks like a very competent solution Michael.

I assume one could have a similar tilt arrangement on the rear as already present on the front standard? In my view camera days, I used rear movements a lot.

As it comes, it does not do that. One could get an extra front standard and convert (via the boards) and have both standards tilting. As it is now, I use mostly tilt on the front a lot. What is nice about, aside from being built as well as piece from RRS (or better) is that it is small, light, and with the longer rail/bellows capable of using lenses that need a long bellows, etc. I find myself using it all the time, especially since I can't find anything better than the D810 that I want to own... or can afford.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com