Author Topic: 220° Circular Fisheye on the Fujifilm GFX!  (Read 5345 times)

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: 220° Circular Fisheye on the Fujifilm GFX!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2017, 05:40:45 »
Yes, but usually its image circle will be too small to cover the entire frame of the larger format.
Even if the lens image circle is larger than FX format, the image quality outside the FX limit could be poor.

Similarly with DX lens on an FX camera. At some zoom settings the lens may cover FX format but the corners are not guaranteed to be sharp, and of course at other zoom settings the lens will not cover FX so there will be heavy vignetting.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2017, 08:04:25 »
With Circular Fisheye lenses one tend to care less about the image quality in the corners,,,
Erik Lund

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2017, 08:09:25 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbZoydUfVCQ

Ken Wheeler aka The Angry Photographer adapted the Nikon DX 10.5mm fisheye to the GFX via a fotodiox adapter.

Full 220° coverage on the medium format (crop) sensor!
Really interesting.

He starts off with this statement:

,,,This lens has a 220 millimeter field of view,,,,

No real need to see more, says it all,,, He's of course wrong in all departments, it's neither 220 millimeters nor 220 degrees.
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2017, 09:39:52 »
He starts off with this statement:

,,,This lens has a 220 millimeter field of view,,,,

I noticed that, too.  :D

Image quality aside, I would seriously doubt if the 10.5mm DX fisheye really offers the 220 degree angle of view when the hood is cut off.  Even in the default condition, the hood doesn't shade the very corner of the lens.  If the lens has the potential to cover 220 degrees, it should be a 220 degree diagonal fisheye in the first place.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2017, 09:44:11 »
As Bjørn stated to start off with it's not 220 degrees!!!
It's about 200 degrees,,,
To give a good quality image on DX of 180 degrees in full frame as Roland states,,,
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2017, 10:06:18 »
As Bjørn stated to start off with it's not 220 degrees!!!
It's about 200 degrees,,,
To give a good quality image on DX of 180 degrees in full frame as Roland states,,,

Thanks for the note, Erik.  I missed that...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2017, 14:53:34 »
so...if I mount a 24X36 lens on a medium format camera...it will give me a wider FOV? :o :o :o is this how it works? I worked on a studio modifying (simple) camera equipment for special scenes but I do not know that this thing works.

All lenses have an image circle (or more precisely a cone) outside of which no light is transmitted, however that edge is not a sharp one. At small apertures the circle is at the maximum usable size. At large apertures, shadowing by parts of the lens body itself blocks some of the light and causes vignetting.

As it is a cone, if you have sufficient extension, the coverage on the sensor/film can be greater as magnification is higher, but this does not affect maximum angle of view, just crops what is being shown.

If you look near the edge of the image circle you notice that there is light fall-off and poorer imagine performance. Usually the lense is designed to have this occur outside the frame as much as possible, but often we hear that a lens is "soft in the corners". This means that not all of the available image circle is being used.

With a fisheye, if you can see the edge of the circle on one format, going to a larger format is not going to show you a greater angle of view. It can only show you parts of the image circle which previously landed outside the sensor. In most cases this is the worst performing part of the lens and has been excluded intentionally.

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2017, 08:17:45 »
a (slightly modified for film camera use) 2.8/6mm 220 degrees is on ebay now (UK seller) :-)

--> Eric??
formerly known as kds315

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2017, 08:41:59 »
No thanks ;) Quite the modifications and a bad looking non original mount.

Nice they cut off the huge foot though,,, :) much more easy to mount a full size DSLR!

Also someone had a tremble when they repeatedly fiddled with an apparently not so well fitting  large lens spanner,,, OMG  :o :o :o
Erik Lund