Author Topic: 220° Circular Fisheye on the Fujifilm GFX!  (Read 5350 times)

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
220° Circular Fisheye on the Fujifilm GFX!
« on: May 20, 2017, 10:48:31 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbZoydUfVCQ

Ken Wheeler aka The Angry Photographer adapted the Nikon DX 10.5mm fisheye to the GFX via a fotodiox adapter.

Full 220° coverage on the medium format (crop) sensor!
Really interesting.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
Re: 220° Circular Fisheye on the Fujifilm GFX!
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2017, 11:26:44 »
Sorry, no 220 degrees coverage ... just moving the lens over to another camera doesn't change its optical properties.

On the DX you get the designated 180 degrees. Shave off the hood and put the camera on an FX or larger one gets a maximum of ~200 degrees if the deteriorating quality outside the basic 180 is ignored. With the FX, top and bottom of the circle are cut off, but one can do a composite of two images with the camera rotated 90 degrees for the second frame.

An example of the 10.5 mm Fisheye-Nikkor on an FX body (D750). Do note how easy it is to get the photographer himself included in the frame.;

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2017, 11:33:28 »
If real 220 degrees are desirable, then here is the solution ... No wonder Erik has such a big smile.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2017, 14:31:34 »
Here's one of the rarest Nikkor: 6.2mm f5.6  SAP fisheye that offers 230 degree.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2017, 14:43:17 »
I have a line on one of of these, but the owner cannot be convinced to sell it :( Oh well, probably saves me a bundle.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2017, 20:28:40 »
The SAP is much rarer than 6mm/f2.8 fisheye, and can be sold for much higher price.

By the way, I've heard that Nikon never sold the SAP fisheye and only leased.  So, it should be "technically" impossible to be on the second-hand market.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2017, 20:59:11 »
I was under the impression he had that particular model, but might be mistaken. It is however, f/5.6 and 6 mm or thereabouts, and definitively not the 7.5 mm. I've seen (poor) snapshots of the lens, but as email attachments they are gone long time ago.

What irks me ever so slightly is that I was offered the 6 mm f/5.6 by Nikon Norway in the 'mid 70s and procrastinated a little too long to get it so another customer bought it, thus instead I had make do with the 10/5.6 OP which for my purpose probably was even more useful.

Nikon Norway (now Nikon Nordic)  made up for this later when they cleaned out their inventory towards the end of the '90s and found a forgotten 8 mm f/2.8 pre-AI still in its unopened box. I got a phone call and was asked whether I had interest in the lens, to which request I answered 'maybe, depends on the price. And since it is pre-AI won't be willing to pay too much." They agreed and I got the lens for USD 150 (approx.). Snooped around and found an AI-kit for the 6/2.8 from Pacific Rim Camera, that also should fit the 8/2.8. It did. Thus I got my 8/2.8 Fisheye-Nikkor with A-modification included I'd for a total of less than USD 200.

A pity such deals are virtually non-existing these days.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 21:10:29 »
A pity such deals are virtually non-existing these days.

Yeah, because the internet has disclosed everything, not only the secondhand prices but also the national secrets.   ;D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 21:35:18 »
More like the trend towards globalisation and ever more centralised company structures. Distance to the contact persons increases and concomitantly the communication weakens.

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 02:11:35 »
Sorry, no 220 degrees coverage ... just moving the lens over to another camera doesn't change its optical properties.

On the DX you get the designated 180 degrees. Shave off the hood and put the camera on an FX or larger one gets a maximum of ~200 degrees if the deteriorating quality outside the basic 180 is ignored. With the FX, top and bottom of the circle are cut off, but one can do a composite of two images with the camera rotated 90 degrees for the second frame.

An example of the 10.5 mm Fisheye-Nikkor on an FX body (D750). Do note how easy it is to get the photographer himself included in the frame.;

;) I can certainly see you there!
200 degrees is still larger than 180, which means the lens can see behind itself, right? I'm not too certain either way, had no experience with the 10.5mm. If shaving the hood grants a 200 degree then yes, no matter which format, it will remain at 200 degrees. I also wonder if the 10.5mm is able resolve that 50mp Fuji... it should perform better actually, less demanding on pixel density? -- just my speculation.

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 02:15:59 »
Here's one of the rarest Nikkor: 6.2mm f5.6  SAP fisheye that offers 230 degree.
:o woah looks very... nifty!
Which format is it designed for?

I actually contacted Laowa himself and he told me that a 220 degree fisheye can be made at a very small size, f/2.8, but he currently has no interest in making such a lens.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 02:33:21 »
:o woah looks very... nifty!
Which format is it designed for?

It has the Nikon-F mount, so it should be safe to assume that it is designed for 135 (or FX) format.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 04:18:48 »
so...if I mount a 24X36 lens on a medium format camera...it will give me a wider FOV? :o :o :o is this how it works? I worked on a studio modifying (simple) camera equipment for special scenes but I do not know that this thing works.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 04:23:31 »
so...if I mount a 24X36 lens on a medium format camera...it will give me a wider FOV? :o :o :o is this how it works? I worked on a studio modifying (simple) camera equipment for special scenes but I do not know that this thing works.

Yes, but usually its image circle will be too small to cover the entire frame of the larger format.  If the lens is not of a telecentric design, the image circle can be larger if you focus closer (or more precisely, if you move the lens (meaning, the entire optical system) further away from the image plane).

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 04:32:19 »
yes, that was what we saw when we adapted 8mm lenses for FX  :o :o :o so the point is lost because we got a black edge.