Author Topic: 2 seconds in the life of my D500  (Read 1203 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
2 seconds in the life of my D500
« on: May 18, 2017, 17:57:22 »
First Second
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: 2 seconds in the life of my D500
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 17:59:00 »
Second Second
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 18:00:16 »
If you have an idea how to edit these shots, tell me, these are converted from RAW using View NX-i ...

beryllium10

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 06:41:57 »
Frank, unfortunately I can't help with raw editing. However, it looks like the D500 focus system tracks very skillfully (I think Ilkka has posted about this recently, too).  It appears to hold focus on the bird across a quick succession of bright and dark backgrounds and even into the tree for all but the last 2 or 3 frames.  In similar situations I find the D810 often has trouble initially grabbing focus on dark birds against a bright sky (more reliable with seagulls on a dark background).  The D810 focus system also seems to be easily distracted by detail in the background, so will often drop focus if the bird passes in front of a tree. Your sequence suggests that the D500 improves performance on both counts.   
For the record, my comments apply to the AF-C / D9 focus mode which I use most commonly.  Also not a complaint about the D810.  Rapid-fire autofocus still seems like magic to me, and the D810 is a truly outstanding camera for my purposes in many other ways as well.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2017, 06:57:28 »
That looks like a lot of work, I mean taking off. That bird needs a jetpack!

One can edit the first frame. Save all edit and then apply the edits in that file to all the frames. If needed various frames can then be tweaked. This can be done in Nikon Capture NX-D and NX2. I'm sure this can be done with many programs.

I'm viewing on a cell phone now. What I see look promising.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 10:06:46 »
Yes, the AF system looks very promising. After a year of use I did not really understand it but I can say for sure that I never had so few AF errors with any camera before. That is why I really look forward to the D800 successor with that AF system. Esp in low light situations the D600 lets me down and I get a lot of AF failures. I love the D810 sensor performance and I want it combined with the D5/D500 AF and White Balance and ISO performance. I am ready to pay 4000€ for that and I will probably buy a second one over time.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 10:12:06 »
The very first image is most impressive to me.  The most tense moment is marvelously captured.  The first frame is always the photographers work (yes, I know that some offers pre-capture mode, but...), not the camera of any performance.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 15:13:52 »
Interesting how the machine can keep the focus on the bird's eye for 18 frames.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 19:21:49 »
Interesting how the machine can keep the focus on the bird's eye for 18 frames.

Also interesting that you were able to track the BIF for these shots.
Carl