Author Topic: The abandoned house immortalized with Nikon D750  (Read 2105 times)

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
The abandoned house immortalized with Nikon D750
« on: May 18, 2017, 12:38:43 »
This picture was made with Nikon D750 and Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AI:

A lighter version of the same:

Also with Nikon D750 and Nikkor 24mm 2.8 AI:

A lighter version of the same image:

Which ones are the preferable ones, the darker or the lighter versions?

This was made with Nikon D750, and the Nikkor AF-S 20mm 1.8 G:

Also with the D750 and the AF-S 20mm 1.8 G:

Per Inge Oestmoen
"Noise reduction is just another word for image destruction"

Per Inge Oestmoen

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
Re: The abandoned house immortalized with Nikon D750
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 13:08:26 »
Per, nice find.  I prefer the lighter edition (#2) due to the brickwork but prefer darker (#3) for the Siding detail.
The side view makes me think of a B Movie Super Croc, horror film, took a big bite and not one of Anthony's Mara River Crocs.
How long has it been in that condition and will it be totally demolished?
Looks like maybe a brick fireplace in the middle, just the fireplace/chimney, last standing, could be cool  .
Thanks for posting and the use of different lenses,
Tom
Edit: no road/track, nor obvious power lines, stayed in a few of those where had to walk across the fields and use candles/oil lamps.  Per, did you shot any from the back.  Insides could be interesting but maybe needed longer lens for life's details.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 15:39:01 »
Beautiful old  (half) house.

I find the images a bit flat - due to the heavy clouds - so a bit of contrast wont harm.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2017, 23:22:33 »
Per, nice find.  I prefer the lighter edition (#2) due to the brickwork but prefer darker (#3) for the Siding detail.
[...] Per, did you shot any from the back.  Insides could be interesting but maybe needed longer lens for life's details.

Thank you, tommiejeep, for your comments. The house has stood that way for decades, and as you can see I also was on the back side and got the old staircase there.

I shall use more lenses next time, as I have now acquired both the 20mm AF-S, the 24mm 2.8 AI, the 28mm 2.0 AIS, and the 28mm 2.8 AIS as well as the 35mm 2.0 AIS for the full wide angle setup with Nikkors. I plan to shoot precisely houses and architecture with these Nikkors.

Per Inge Oestmoen

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 23:26:28 »
Beautiful old  (half) house.

I find the images a bit flat - due to the heavy clouds - so a bit of contrast wont harm.

Yes, I agree on the contrast, but if I were to apply more contrast in the RAW converter (I use RawTherapee, Darktable and Corel AfterShot Pro alternatively) I was afraid that I could easily blow out the sky, so I erred(?) on the side of caution this time. 

Per Inge Oestmoen

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 09:54:42 »
Per - I only apply contrast with a curves adjustment layer in photoshop - so I can control it exactly, and have a layer mask to mask what I dont want affected. The power of layers :)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 11:52:12 »
Per - I only apply contrast with a curves adjustment layer in photoshop - so I can control it exactly, and have a layer mask to mask what I dont want affected. The power of layers :)

Hello Elsa, so I guess that I have to put out another version of at least one of these where I apply another layer for contrast purposes. Yes, I shall do that and then we will see :-)

Per Inge Oestmoen

frankv

• NG Supporter
  • I'm in it for the music!
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2017, 14:44:22 »
Yes, I agree on the contrast, but if I were to apply more contrast in the RAW converter (I use RawTherapee, Darktable and Corel AfterShot Pro alternatively) I was afraid that I could easily blow out the sky, so I erred(?) on the side of caution this time.

When I used Aftershot, one of the thigs I really liked was the highlight recovery. It was quite useful, and didn't degrade detail elsewhere. Might be a helper here.

-frank-
Frank Vevik