Author Topic: Looking for used gear in Tokyo  (Read 4715 times)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
Re: Looking for used gear in Tokyo
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 07:39:53 »
the shops that are reputable are:

Fujiya
Kitamura
Map
Yodobashi
Bic
Lemon
Alps-do

so long as you keep your receipt you can send it back within the warranty period. remember, "no paper, no talk". if you lost your paperwork then say goodbye to the warranty :o :o :o

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 10:23:54 »
I would recommend Map Camera in Shinjuku as well. They have an extensive range of secondhand gear, and their grading is accurate, maybe even conservative. For example, an item graded as "beauty product" usually looks and feels new.

There is a Nikon service center nearby that is excellent. They have serviced some of my Australian purchases without hesitation. They have a same day sensor cleaning service - if you are early enough, they will clean the sensor while you wait.

To Mike and those who is visiting Tokyo, I would advice you to avoid Nikon service in Shinjuku if you really need your lens or camear to have "repaired", not "checked".  You need to take them to Ginza.

Gentlemen, we are speaking about international Nikon's rules, what it is a reason for that OP post. To send it back for fixing + some extra, maybe, will cost a little fortune. Learn the Nikon's rules first, think twice and triple, before put money on the counter. That's my advice, and everyone is free to do what he/she wants. THX!   LZ

LZ, I don't think you are misunderstood.  I believe you are familiar with the international service policy of Nikon outside Japan.  Here in Japan, however, Nikon will not refuse to check or repair your lenses and cameras, even if they are grey, without warranty or purchased outside Japan.  You just have to pay for the repair.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2017, 10:28:29 »
Yes, Kitamura, Lemon-sha (in Ginza) and Alps-do (in Shinjuku) are also well reputed shops.  At Lemon-sha, you can also find some exotic stuff.  There are some other nerdy shops.  :)

Yodobashi and Bic Camera are ones of the largest retailers.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2017, 10:39:51 »
the other shops are more for really old stuff like Sankyo. :o :o :o

Alps-do is very good, I go there almost everyday ::)

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2017, 14:35:44 »
Akira, I remember what happened to my Phottix grip from HK. Back to NYC, it stopped working properly. After long conversation with Phottix representatives, I was told to send it back to HK, no more options in NYC, even for money.   My local Post Office gave me the best price of $89, while new grip was $70 at that time. So I am satisfied with my decision to not buy any expensive  complicated electronic gadgets out of the USA. One may do it on his/hers own risk, what doesn't pay. Japan is still the best and most lovely country for me, to visit, even if I am very stupid "GAIJIN"! Hah! THX!  LZ