Author Topic: Sync photos from Mac  (Read 6485 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Sync photos from Mac
« on: May 16, 2017, 14:47:53 »
this is related to photography - in the sense that I used to sync my Iphone 6 with iTunes so that my whole portfolio of photos (in thumbnail size) is on my Iphone. In this way I always have my portfolio with me.

since I got my new mac (2015 last version) with latest IOS UPDATEd - and Itunes updated - I have not been able to sync my photos - message I receive is

iPad could not be synced because the sync session failed to finish

I have googled no end and done everything they suggest - even only tried to sync one folder of photos at a time (I have about 20 folders with images - and it always sync'ed perfectly) it wont sync when I tick to include any photos folders.

Failing sorting out the above - is there any other way to sync? Another VERIFIED program?
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Mike G

Re: Sync photos from Mac
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 15:27:50 »
If you have Lightroom you can get Lr Mobile and sync the collections, I have been doing this lately with success, but I can also sync via iTunes. Should work with an iPhone as it is only a very small iPad really!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 15:32:46 »
thanks Mike - I dont have LR unfortunately

So my folders are "hand created" folders for each category of my photos (as it has been for the last decade)
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 16:50:59 »
Try moving & renaming the previous sync backups so that iTunes thinks a sync does not exist ??

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 21:00:05 »
Hi Andrea - done that too. Renaming folders was suggested. Tried that too. Main thing is - the minute I tick the box to sync photos (as per the menu on the right) it presents with the problem

DO any of you use any other programs to sync? what do the PC Window users use ?

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2017, 17:54:46 »
On my Android phone there are a couple of places to store photos. I don't know iPhone, but could there be some problem with where the photos are stored on your iPhone??

Can you access the iPhone as an attached drive and simply drag-copy the photo files between iPhone and laptop or computer?

Do you have the latest version of iTunes?
Ignore. You already mentioned this.

Is iCloud turned on or off?? Could this interfere with the sync?

Look to see whether you have the Manual Mangement box checked or not in iTunes.

Mike G

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 18:07:47 »
Another way I do it is to select a photo file in iTunes and the jpegs are put on an iPhone when a sync is done!

I have just bought an SD card reader to enable the card to download direct to an iPad or iPhone, all plug and play! The Jpegs are stored for display in the Photos app! In iTunes all my photo folders show up!

"iPad could not be synced because the sync session failed to finish" I too have had this message, so I clicked again on sync and the sync was completed! Are you sure you have enough memory on your phone?

Sorry I know nothing about Android devices!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2017, 08:34:30 »
andrea - sadly no drag and drop. Might have been a great thing if it did!

Mike G - no matter what I try - I now get the dreaded message.
I have an Iphone 6
Your SD card reader might be a solution for me - although very cumbersome to copy from the Mac to the card - then copy to the Iphone. And every time I add photos to a folder the process needs repeating.
I have a 64 gig phone and about 47 gig free. its not a space issue

Mike G

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2017, 08:59:56 »
Elsa the attached is a screenshot of my photos sync page! Is yours similar?

Mike G

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2017, 16:33:52 »
My on hand expert(grandson) has suggested that a corrupt file might be interfering with the sync, so see if you can sync without any photo files!

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 16:53:27 »
Elsa, have you tried signing out of iCloud and then back in?

Carl

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 19:26:35 »
I'm just looking at your post: first question, your system message is talking about a sync problem with an iPad, and you are referring to an iPhone 6.
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2017, 15:01:00 »
Mr Floyd - I also noticed it said Ipad that one time - but it was my Iphone - and as you can see from the attached screenshot - it's still my Iphone
Mike  - ye it looks the same. I moved a single folder - and tried including it from an different place on my Mac - still no cigar.
iCloud - now there I am lost - dont even know how to get to my iCloud - I dont have an iCloud folder?

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2017, 15:37:15 »
Okay, the iPhoto has been replaced (meaning that Apple no longer supports it) with the Photos app (look in your applications folder). Yes, iPhoto is likely still on your Mac, and it still works, but it has seen the end of the line  WRT support.

Of course you have an iCloud folder, System Preferences/iCloud, although you might not be aware of it. The app Photos is on your Mac and your iPhone, and is where you are now supposed to sync images from your iPhone. If you are not up to speed with iCloud, and/or Photos, seek out local help to explain it to you. If that is not available, there is the option of looking online.

I suspect that your issue is a new Mac and because of the switch from iPhoto to Photos on that new Mac, and iCloud is how you sync your iOS devices with your Mac wirelessly. HTH
Carl

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2017, 16:14:06 »
Carl - I dont use Iphoto - or "Photo" (with the new Mac) ever. You can't store individual folders in "Photo"
MikeG is doing what I always did  - it appears from his screenshot.
I have tried the wireless sync - no cigar either.
I have googled to death - this one says this - that one says that.
Create new folder - rename folders, move folders, uplug and plug back in - restart, re-sync, re-everything-you-can-think-of
move photos, one by one, two at a time, delete and restart and redo the whole lot again.
I am wondering if my phone is the issue. All apps and software up to date though.
I have even now tried to sync via my old mac - and has the same FAIL - therefor I am wondering about the phone.
Anyway - it is what it is.
Looks like it has now thrown all my photos in one big fat "folder"  - all 12 000 of them no more separate folders - only in separate years, (which helps me none)
Anyway - I don't want to waste anybody's time  - so let me sit with it again and see what I get