Author Topic: Manual Nikkor lenses (AI/AIS) become "loose" in the focus ring - why?  (Read 8291 times)

basker

• NG Member
Per,

I believe that having an accurate diagnosis is the most critical part of a repair. I also agree that an expert overhaul might fix an undiagnosed problem. Your description of the symptom makes me wonder if the slack is between the optical unit and helicoid instead of between the helicoids. If that is the case, how would grease help?

Sam
Sam McMillan

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
To the OP - If you are not accepting my advice - nothing wrong with that, really - elementary rules of communication require you to say very simple "thank you", coze I spent time try to help you. LZ

Dear Longzoom, of course, your help has absolutely been helpful, as have those of others. I apologize if I have made a different impression, such was not my intent. I am thankful for your comments. There is no doubt that lenses exhibiting these symptoms need service.
"Noise reduction is just another word for image destruction"

Per Inge Oestmoen

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
Per,

I believe that having an accurate diagnosis is the most critical part of a repair. I also agree that an expert overhaul might fix an undiagnosed problem. Your description of the symptom makes me wonder if the slack is between the optical unit and helicoid instead of between the helicoids. If that is the case, how would grease help?

Sam

I also am very much in doubt that grease would remedy the problem, although grease is necessary to ensure proper operation in the long term. Thank you.

Per Inge Oestmoen

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
An alternative and plausible cause is the screws holding the focusing guides in position have started to work loose.

Do get them to a qualified repair shop. If you are located in Oslo, FotoCare is the obvious choice.

Thank you, Bjørn. I have just contacted the repair shop and we have made an agreement to diagnose the problem.

Per Inge Oestmoen

basker

• NG Member
Thank you, Bjørn. I have just contacted the repair shop and we have made an agreement to diagnose the problem.

Per,

I would very much appreciate hearing whatever final diagnosis is given by the repair shop.

Thanks,

Sam

Sam McMillan

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
Per,

I would very much appreciate hearing whatever final diagnosis is given by the repair shop.

Thanks,

Sam

I am also curious to learn what is the actual "affliction" - very much so. I will report back.

Thank you too.

Per Inge Oestmoen