Author Topic: A visit to the Isle of Skye  (Read 7016 times)

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: A visit to the Isle of Skye
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2017, 17:00:42 »
David and Mike, wonderful.
The Last Sun is my absolute favorite!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2017, 18:00:16 »
Many thanks, Jakov.
Mike Selby - Sydney

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 18:05:44 »
Unfortunately the sky in No. 3 (Late afternoon - The Quirang) has been reproduced with a strange cast, so I have reposted it here.

Mike Selby - Sydney

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2017, 20:59:36 »
Wow, Mike, the series is lovely!

#1 looks very peculiar.  What are the spiral and three seemingly artificial round objects for?

"Portree Sunset" is gorgeous!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2017, 00:07:16 »
Very very nice series. That last one use of depth is excellent

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2017, 02:09:05 »
Wow, Mike, the series is lovely!

#1 looks very peculiar.  What are the spiral and three seemingly artificial round objects for?

"Portree Sunset" is gorgeous!

Many thanks, Akira. No doubt David can enlighten us here, but an Isle of Skye website advises that "In recent years’ visitors have started to move the rocks to create spirals on the ground. We have been told that some of the bus tour guides have made up and encouraged some rituals involving walking the spirals then leaving a coin or token in the centre as an offering to the fairies for good luck. The locals on Skye have repeatedly removed these stone spirals in an attempt to keep the Glen in it's natural state".

Very very nice series. That last one use of depth is excellent

Thank you, Golunvolo. The last one posted (Late afternoon - The Quirang) did require more than the usual amount of processing, because conditions there were quite misty.
Mike Selby - Sydney

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2017, 05:36:57 »
Mike, thanks for the info.  Actually I also checked out the website but apparently failed to find the info you shared.  Frankly it is a bit disappointing...

However, the sunset and other scenes are real and beautiful, which makes up for the disappointment well.

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2017, 05:50:37 »
Mike, thanks for the info.  Actually I also checked out the website but apparently failed to find the info you shared.  Frankly it is a bit disappointing...

However, the sunset and other scenes are real and beautiful, which makes up for the disappointment well.

Akira - here is my source https://www.isleofskye.com/skye-guide/skye-places/fairy-glen
Mike Selby - Sydney

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2017, 06:18:51 »
A few more images from Skye:

1. Dunscaith Castle
2. Dantulum Castle
3. Looking seawards from Dantulum Castle
4. P ssing Place
5. Loch Harport
6. Loch Harport - seen better days
7. Portree waterfront
8. One of the Fairy Pools at the foot of the Black Cuillins (link: https://www.isleofskye.com/skye-guide/top-ten-skye-walks/fairy-pools

Mike Selby - Sydney

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2017, 20:05:07 »
Akira - here is my source https://www.isleofskye.com/skye-guide/skye-places/fairy-glen

Yes, that's where google search guided me.  I didn't like the image of the slide show and left the website without paying much attention to the texts.  :D

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2017, 20:07:49 »
#5 is my favorite in the second series.  The red outline of the house of the fully desaturated color against the green surroundings...nice color composition.

David Paterson

• NG Member
  • Retired, but not tired, photographer
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2017, 21:33:53 »
Both series excellent, Mike, and I'm left wondering how I passed so many good images by, without seeing them?

What your pics and mine demonstrate very well is that it is the eye of the photographer which constructs the image, not the equipment used. For most of three days we went to exactly the same places and saw the same things, yet our images could hardly be more different.  I still hear or read comments occasionally to the effect that photography cannot be art, because if your put two photogs in the same place with the same equipment, their images will be the same. What utter cr*p.

Good work, mate.

Mikes

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2017, 17:30:15 »
#5 is my favorite in the second series.  The red outline of the house of the fully desaturated color against the green surroundings...nice color composition.

Thanks, Akira. It was a catch of the moment - 15 minutes later, a breeze came in and the mirror broke up!

Both series excellent, Mike, and I'm left wondering how I passed so many good images by, without seeing them?

What your pics and mine demonstrate very well is that it is the eye of the photographer which constructs the image, not the equipment used. For most of three days we went to exactly the same places and saw the same things, yet our images could hardly be more different.  I still hear or read comments occasionally to the effect that photography cannot be art, because if your put two photogs in the same place with the same equipment, their images will be the same. What utter cr*p.

Good work, mate.

You don't miss much at all  :)

Thanks, David. I agree completely with your sentiment. That is one of the reasons why the NikonGear meet up in Scotland was so interesting for me. I enjoyed seeing the diversity of ways in which participants there interpreted the same scenes. As with the meetups we have had in Tokyo with Akira....
Mike Selby - Sydney

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2017, 00:41:43 »
Thanks, Akira. It was a catch of the moment - 15 minutes later, a breeze came in and the mirror broke up!

You don't miss much at all  :)

Mike, if I understand correctly, the landscape photography is about capturing the moment, not the still lives or dead materials.  :)

I also fully agree with David!