Author Topic: Wine glass with cherry  (Read 1279 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Wine glass with cherry
« on: May 13, 2017, 18:47:38 »
This was taken back in 1986 when I was fooling around doing little studio set-ups in the basement.
I had purchased an excellent book on studio photography that consisted of instructions and diagrams as well as film and camera settings to produce interesting photos.
I basically copied one of the shots as closely as I could with my limited make-shift gear to gain some experience.
For this particular shot a flash was set up behind the glass and fired through a frosted and textured acrylic drop-ceiling fluorescent fixture lens
This was one of the results.
motorized Nikon FE-2
Nikkor 50 mm 1.4 AI manual focus
Kodachrome 64 colour slide film
probably f4 @ 1/250th

I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: Wine glass with cherry
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 18:12:50 »
The light play is lovely. The glass makes me think of some kind of chalice.

I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

And what are these "papers" of which you speak??  8) 8) 8)

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 18:44:20 »
I really like the out of focus bits, the color and the geometry of the whole thing.  Very nicely done and thanks for sharing.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

charlie

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 21:20:28 »
So elegantly done.
Thank you for sharing.

The shape of that particular wine glass makes the image flow much better than a more traditional straight stemmed glass would have.
I also appreciate subtle nuances that seemingly only film can contribute to an image.

All of the fluorescent light fixture covers I've seen have clear lenses, where did the colors in the background come from?

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 13:07:50 »
Andrea, Andrew, Charlie,
Thanks for commenting.
Charlie,
I couldn't find the Comp. Book notes for this photo, so I can't remember if I gelled the flash or not, but it is possible that the colour tinge was just the result of the paint colour of the room as I didn't have enough black velvet material to tent the entire set.
Robert