Author Topic: Learning the Heligon 100mm f/1.6  (Read 1708 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Learning the Heligon 100mm f/1.6
« on: May 11, 2017, 22:39:41 »
Please give your critique so I can improve.
DFJ_5501

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: Learning the Heligon 100mm f/1.6
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 17:24:01 »
Jack, I like this. It has that somewhat 'dreamy' quality that we can get with the soft bokeh from these Heligon type lenses. I like the muted colours.

A long time ago on an old version of Nikonger, a practitioner (name now forgotten) of Rodenstockography (as I sometimes call it) mentioned that having a small sharp area in such a photograph really "brought it home" and made it interesting and not just a blurry take on some subject. Do you agree with that opinion? You do have that area of sharpness in the central area of this photo (which is fairly easily attained with f/1.6 but often much harder to attain with some of the faster .75 Heligons). I think our inner photo eye looks for and wants to find that area of sharpness.

Of course I'm always recommending compositional changes. For this photo I'd probably crop in a bit to emphasize the sharp area and keep the photo elements from appearing too random. You have some competing diagonals and curves in this composition. Also the eye goes first to bright areas and here the bright areas are not the sharp areas, but the bright areas are very close to the sharp areas and distract from them a bit. So think about bright background bits with such a photo and decide if they are well-placed compositionally.

Hope this might be useful.
And interested to know what you are thinking about it.

Andrew

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2017, 19:26:27 »
I like it!
Andrew Iwanowski

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 22:53:17 »
Hello Jack,

not that long ago I was in the same position. Now I am still in the same position with some shutter clicks through a heligon. My best advice is to keep on shooting. Look at the images here and elsewhere and specially at your own. Have fun. Shot more. This lenses are mysterious.

On that particular image I agree it may benefit from a closer focus -sic- on your subject. It is nice and clear with the inherent magic of your lens. The dark ambiance works for me and there is plenty information, maybe too much -always as an opinion-.

Keep on shooting and thanks for sharing!

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2017, 23:11:31 »
I like the image.  The colours of the Heligon are special.

Working with light (sun) works great with the Heligon.

Using a focusing helicoid gives extra flexibility, easier to frame the subject.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2017, 23:57:00 »
Thanks for the encouragement and comments. Very helpful.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 08:48:15 »
Sharpness doesn't need to be in the central area I think,,, or even sharp at all ;)

The latest image is too dark for my taste or at least I would have kept the highlights much brighter to create more life in the image.
Erik Lund