Author Topic: Nude for a change  (Read 2846 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Nude for a change
« on: May 11, 2017, 18:39:30 »
havent posted nudes for a while  - about time again then
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
Re: Nude for a change
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 19:51:08 »
Steamy!

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 20:01:02 »
You should do it more often, Elsa :D

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 20:21:59 »
Thanks Bjørn and Ron. Bjørn - I am not at liberty to post images from all the shoots I do.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 21:20:40 »
Love the last one, such a precise placement  of the lights
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 22:44:36 »
Precisely. Plus, the unconventional setup (face in the shadow).
Airy Magnien

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 23:23:28 »
Thank you Airy and Armando

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 23:32:16 »
Thanks Bjørn and Ron. Bjørn - I am not at liberty to post images from all the shoots I do.

Too bad, I'd like to see more of your approach.
Carl

ColinM

• NG Member
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2017, 00:09:24 »
I am not at liberty to post images from all the shoots I do.

Ahhhh, it's not about what you show, it's what you leave to the imagination? ;)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2017, 09:41:24 »
My clients have the option to allow me to use their images for my portfolio - or not. A contract is signed - so if my clients prefer me not to use their images - I don't. And since I shoot mainly older people - they are not always comfortable with their images being displayed to others. I respect that.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2017, 10:13:32 »
Elsa, you are a good person. 

I wish that others, including some of the larger corporations had your sense of ethical behaviour.

My clients have the option to allow me to use their images for my portfolio - or not. A contract is signed - so if my clients prefer me not to use their images - I don't. And since I shoot mainly older people - they are not always comfortable with their images being displayed to others. I respect that.
Hugh Gunn

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2017, 10:18:34 »
Thank you Hugh.
It is basic business ethics.
If I want a bad reputation - I only have to upset one client - and that will be the end of me.
So - even though I retain copyright and all that jazz - nudes are a VERY VERY sensitive issue.
I find that less and less people are inclined to grant me permission to use their images - I guess what we see on the internet lately has a lot to do with that.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2017, 23:30:40 »
#1 and #3. The precise light positioning makes them special.  Number 1 has the color, number 3 the shadows. Both are truely enjoyable.

#2, for me, has a little but disturbing imperfection: there is too much light on the models right forearm which at the same moment lacks to illuminate the mans hand holding the lighter.
Probably would have needed some (torch)light coming from the photog position.
-/-/-

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 08:18:00 »
Thank you for your comments Thomas - much appreciated.

Regarding #2  - you are 100% correct in your comments. My explanation here is not to say you are wrong, but rather to make people realise the challenges with a "real couple shoot" .This is a real client shoot - not a model shoot - which means I do not have the time to correct every imperfection in studio - especially with a couple shoot and low key lighting - I have to shoot what I see, as I see it, and it is usually not a moment I can re-create. It is often a moment between the couple, not a specific posed position for me. With a model shoot - you can set up and change lights and poses till the cows come home. With a couple shoot -they are there for the experience and images - therefor spending time setting each shot up as perfectly as possible - is not viable. I generally try to capture what is going on in front of me - and work with that, without interfering too much with posing. Once they interact - I run with it as best I can.

Theoretically I should shoot with 3 lights (and not 2) especially since the lady has dark hair. But setting up lights for 2 people is double trouble in terms of low key lighting. As is - this shoot took me 3.5 hours to get 20 images. Older clients (they are both 46 years old) causes another set of issues - I need to hide as much as her imperfections with light. That can be unbelievably challenging.

I teach studio lighting  - but working with a model is a totally different kettle of fish. I don't think there is anyone in South Africa doing Low key fine art nude with older people like I do. It is just too challenging. I can't begin to tell you how much I have to hide with light, as there are a LOT you cant fix in post production. In a model shoot, I can photoshop the shit out of an image. With a client - I have to shoot as best I can to avoid manipulation in post.

Okey that is a long story - I am not trying to avoid the shortcomings of the image, I am merely explaining that this kind of shoot can not be compared with a model shoot. Not an excuse - just an explanation.

I know that we all just see what is presented to us in any image - we do not have privy to the whole scene and set up. I am the first to admit I also judge an image exactly like that. Sometimes I remember to think wider. But not too often  ;D ;D ;D

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2017, 10:53:58 »
when can we see the rest of them?   8)
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman