Author Topic: Views from a train  (Read 1466 times)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Views from a train
« on: May 10, 2017, 16:12:21 »
Had a quick trip to Sydney last weekend.
Had no space in my bag so carried Sony A7II with Zeiss ZM 50mm f1.5 Sonnar on Novoflex adapter. Last pic stitched 7 shots

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Re: Views from a train
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 16:20:28 »
Nice set of views, my favorite being the pano of the quay
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2017, 00:18:14 »
#1 because of her placement in the scene and #3 just because.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2017, 05:57:57 »
JJ, nice series.  I prefer 3 and 4.   Love the subjects in 3.  Looks like some motion blur but still love it.  I like the first but , out of my preferences , probably would have cropped some of the black at the bottom.    It could have been an interesting(and hard) scene to pan if the train was moving..   My ZM Sonnar 50 f 1.5 and VM Nokton 50 1.5 arrive next week, along with my family.  Plan is to see which I prefer and then sell one... ;) .  Just need to plan a trip for a fun comparison  :) ,  I do not think it will be Sydney  :(
Cheers,
Tom
Edit: next time I am in Mumbai I'll take the VM 15 f4.5 down to the tracks in the early morning.
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2017, 06:19:23 »
Some nice captures, JJ!

I like #1 for the atmosphere and #3 for the perfect timing for the geometry.  I would have liked #4 a bit wider (too much to require?).  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 09:17:13 »
#3 for me is really great!
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2017, 13:07:30 »
Thanks for all the positive comments
The photos turned out a lot better than I thought because of the limitations of capturing the scene where the train stopped and the very dirty and scratched/graffitied windows on the trains.

In addition, the Sony is not as easy to use as the Df nor a Nikon DSLR. The quality is really good when conditions are good but moving train, dark stations and quick captures are not its strong suit. There is a significant delay and despite the focus highlights, it is too slow in getting the moment. It drains batteries rapidly so I turned everything off (eg picture review) and only used the viewfinder - it was like film days as I really had no idea what was captured until I got home.

Tom - the Sonnar has character and gives a slightly old fashioned picture - not a lot of contrast, hazy wide open, but tiny and quite fun to use. Despite the focus highlighting, you really need magnification to get it just right - which is too laborious for quick captures.
Akira - I too would have liked to get a bit more but too many people in the train and windows REALLY grubby where I seated. The fact that my carriage stopped right in line with the ship and was free of people on the platform at that instant was pure luck!
Elsa - train stopped right at the Central sign so the symmetry again was pure luck.

Thanks again everyone for positive comments.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2017, 15:05:50 »
Thanks for all the positive comments
The photos turned out a lot better than I thought because of the limitations of capturing the scene where the train stopped and the very dirty and scratched/graffitied windows on the trains.

In addition, the Sony is not as easy to use as the Df nor a Nikon DSLR. The quality is really good when conditions are good but moving train, dark stations and quick captures are not its strong suit. There is a significant delay and despite the focus highlights, it is too slow in getting the moment. It drains batteries rapidly so I turned everything off (eg picture review) and only used the viewfinder - it was like film days as I really had no idea what was captured until I got home.

Tom - the Sonnar has character and gives a slightly old fashioned picture - not a lot of contrast, hazy wide open, but tiny and quite fun to use. Despite the focus highlighting, you really need magnification to get it just right - which is too laborious for quick captures.
Akira - I too would have liked to get a bit more but too many people in the train and windows REALLY grubby where I seated. The fact that my carriage stopped right in line with the ship and was free of people on the platform at that instant was pure luck!
Elsa - train stopped right at the Central sign so the symmetry again was pure luck.

Thanks again everyone for positive comments.

#3 & 4 for me. You can claim "pure luck", but you did capture the moment, in spite of distractions, which was your aim. So now luck is on our side in getting to view your work.

The pano, sheesh, I wanted to step out onto the platform and look around. The image brings back memories of 1958 when I was on a ship tied up at Circular Quay. I wonder what has changed in the interim?
Carl