Author Topic: Tree - can't decide  (Read 905 times)

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
Tree - can't decide
« on: May 09, 2017, 22:11:00 »
Majestic tree, image stitch 21 images with 180 f/2.8. I can't decide between B&W and colour. What's your preference (and why)? Any other comments?

Hans Cremers

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Tree - can't decide
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 22:05:39 »
I'll pick the B&W by a small margin.  Perhaps the color can be re-worked to be more pleasing?  As it is now, the uncertain hue of the light ground at the base of the tree is bothering me.  This shot might be a candidate for a way-out color/contrast/tonality interpretation, 'simulated false color' as it were.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2017, 22:21:04 »
As it is now, the uncertain hue of the light ground at the base of the tree is bothering me. 
That is the typical colour of sand-grounds in the heather -area's in Brabant, especially visible under Pine trees. It has a kind of 'silver' look.  Or do you mean something else? 

I do agree the colours/tone could be a bit less contrasty.  They are also a bit distracting in the bokeh/background, especially in the tree on the right.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 22:29:42 »
The choice could be a no-brainer: the B&W process looks way more effective to enhance the majestic shape of the tree (maybe a bit more contrast would be better?)

To me, the other tree in the background is a bit detracting, and I may want to try to cut 1/3 of the right part of the image.

"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 22:37:42 »
Thanks Keith, John, Akira. I truly appreciate your candid feedback.

I understand what i should do, go back at a more (photo) suitable moment of the day, take some time to compose well, avoid distracting background and wait for good light.

While i didn't do much to the contrast, i see what you mean by that. Indeed, as John explains, the earth/dirt/soil looks like that in this area.

Thank you gentlemen!
Hans Cremers

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2017, 19:12:11 »
I think the two versions tell a very different story.

In B&W, it's all about the structure of the tree. In the colour version, the various lichens and so on become more important.

Personally, I prefer colour in almost all instances, and this is no exception.

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2017, 17:09:44 »
Dear Peter, thanks for your feedback. I appreciate that and love NG for it, the valuable feedback one gets from its members.

Thanks!
Hans Cremers