Author Topic: Phenotypical expression on display  (Read 1564 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Phenotypical expression on display
« on: May 07, 2017, 19:10:04 »
This was taken in 2000. My mother who was then only 77 needed a mental and physical respite from the 24 hour care she was giving our father, and knowing how much she loves animals especially cats, I arranged to take her to an animal farm near Toronto that had among other animals, a number of Lion and Tiger cubs that visitors were allowed to play with.
One of my mothers feline affectations is her habit of taking cat's whiskers and pulling them through her pursed lips, something she says feels wonderful.
And of course the very first thing she did when she our two kids and I entered the cage was to take a Lion cub's head in her hands and pull it's whiskers through her lips. She then looked at the three of us, smiled and said "You can't imagine how much I wanted to do that!"
This shot was taken inside the cage as my Mother, Joanna and Steven enjoyed themselves playing with the cubs.
motorized Nikon F2AS
Nikkor 24 2.8 AIS manual focus
Fuji Sensia II 100 ISO colour slide
5.6 @ 1/125th
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

simato73

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Phenotypical expression on display
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2017, 20:45:42 »
What a sweet story and what a character is your mother!
Simone Tomasi

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2017, 22:06:35 »
What a sweet story and what a character is your mother!
Simone,
My mother is a real Trouper and was always up for almost anything.
At one point, while playing with one cub, another came up behind her, stood on its hind legs, grabbed with his paws and began biting her behind. She calmly turned around, gave him a light smack on the muzzle and calmly told him to stop it. Then she went back to playing with the other cub.
And thanks for the kind comments.
Robert
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 02:47:09 »
Robert, I loved your story & the image.  It is a pity that these such delighful cubs can often grow up to be so dangerous.  Nature at work I guess - I just need to accept that!
Hugh Gunn

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 02:53:28 »
Great story, made me smile
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 06:46:00 »
Hugh and Armando,
Thanks for the kind words.
Hugh,
The owner of the game farm would often go into the pens of virtually all the animals including the big cats, especially to feed them. He told me he never had problems with any of them. The one animal whose enclosure he never entered was the Polar Bear.
It was described by the owner as "an eating machine" that would have grabbed and killed him in an instant.
Our kids played with Lion and Tiger cubs as well as Wolves, and our Daughter stuck her hands in the Cougar's cage and stroked him while he just lay there and purred.
Robert 

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 14:31:19 »
Thanks for sharing RBS, there are obviously some fond memories in there.
And by the sound of it, it was a double treat for your mum - hope the day there gave her the respite you were each hoping she'd find.

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 17:45:35 »
Thanks for sharing RBS, there are obviously some fond memories in there.
And by the sound of it, it was a double treat for your mum - hope the day there gave her the respite you were each hoping she'd find.
Colin,
Thanks for commenting.
Yes, the day was a chance for my mother to briefly forget the constant strain of attending to our father, and enjoy herself with my wife and I and our kids, while being with creatures she's loved all her life.
Robert

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 15:34:11 »
Carl