Author Topic: Leica M Monochrom  (Read 9047 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: Leica M Monochrom
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2017, 20:25:12 »
Having shot the Monochrom several times here is my opinion. The files are nice, they do require developing a pp technique to get the best out of them as they are fairly flat straight out of the camera. The files are very malleable - you can get the look you want.
For my taste Monochrom images are in a class by themselves. They aren't as good as a silver print and they are different from a converted color digital file. Ralph Gibson used one for his book Mono and they are probably some of the best Monochrom images I've seen. There are also many who post on getDPI under Leica "Fun with the Leica M Monocrhom" who are quite accomplished.

John - you echo what I hear elsewhere. Thank you
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2017, 12:22:35 »
My reason for starting this thread is that I was at a photo meeting where 2 photos of this very accomplished lady was exhibited.

http://morgantrimble.com/day-black-white-monochrom/

I refer to specifically the image of the man sitting on a chair against a wall (full body) and the image of the man with hand in front of his face

"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2017, 14:25:05 »
She does not say which lenses were used, but the OOF appearance in some of the images is unattractive - especially the extreme right of the one of the man sitting in front of the wall, but also the leaf background on the left of the one with the child on the tricycle.  And looking at the buildings in the distance of the picture of the Noon Gun the distortion is marked. 

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2017, 14:27:28 »
She used a 50mm (f.95)
Not sure how wide open she shot - but I believe it was fairly wide open

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2017, 16:08:18 »
It would not be the first lens where extreme performance in one area compromises performance in other areas, but for US$10,000 I would hope for more than just bragging rights about depth of field. 

Eric Borgström

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Eric´s pictures
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2017, 16:28:57 »
She does not say which lenses were used, but the OOF appearance in some of the images is unattractive - especially the extreme right of the one of the man sitting in front of the wall, but also the leaf background on the left of the one with the child on the tricycle.  And looking at the buildings in the distance of the picture of the Noon Gun the distortion is marked.
I see these areas as beautiful contrasting the sharp main subject. Tastes may differ.
/Eric

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2017, 17:15:08 »
Elsa, I belive we are talking about two different cameras. The Leica M Monochrom with CCD sensor and the Leica M Monochrom (Type 264) with CMOS sensor. I have the first one :)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2017, 20:06:29 »
Børge. I promise I wont hold that against you :)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2017, 21:11:15 »
... It had a thick emulsion, which reduced its resolving power, which I have read was why it was replaced, although for large formats that presumably did not matter as much which was why it persisted in sheets. ...

Super-XX 4142 was used for color separations is what I was told. When digital pre-press took over pretty completely there weren't enough other users for Super-XX to keep it profitable (or so I surmise).

I tested about five different films when I first started printing 4x5 and choose Super-XX probably because of the long straight line H&D and no shoulder. The printing paper could shoulder the highlights as needed. :)

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2017, 21:20:34 »
If one is shooting with the intention of making B&W images I believe a mind set change is given when the camera has B&W film loaded rather than color. In the same way a Leica M is always loaded with B&W and other digital camera that offer a Picture Control when set to Monochrome will change the mind set.

When I'm shooting B&W I'm previsualizing how colors will translate to B&W. This just comes from shooting a lot of B&W. You see the colors red and green but the colors aren't important. What is important is if they will both be rendered the same shade of gray. If so a filter may be required to separate then so for example a light red filter might be used to lighten an apple and darken the leaves to give the separation one sees in color.

Anyway I invite those who shoot cameras with a picture control or similar to set the camera to monochrome. This should change the mind set even if image review isn't use.

Dave Hartman

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2017, 09:36:16 »
Super-XX 4142 was used for color separations is what I was told.

That is correct.  Because of the long straight characteristic curve all the colours could use the same exposure, which made it much easier.   But it was Kodak's standard (relatively) fast consumer roll film (200) until Tri-X was introduced.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2017, 10:30:32 »
When I'm shooting B&W I'm previsualizing how colors will translate to B&W. This just comes from shooting a lot of B&W. You see the colors red and green but the colors aren't important. What is important is if they will both be rendered the same shade of gray. If so a filter may be required to separate then so for example a light red filter might be used to lighten an apple and darken the leaves to give the separation one sees in color.

yes, this is true. i also feel sad at times when there is a very colourful subject in front of me but I have FP4 loaded in my camera  :o :o :o

i tend to look for textures and lighting contrast when I shoot BW  ::)

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2017, 11:38:42 »
I believe Tri-X replaced Super-XX in roll films in1957. I would have been in first grade then. I bought my first real camera in 1970.

Dave

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2017, 11:47:52 »

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2017, 13:42:06 »
I processed hundreds of Tri-X rolls in Microdol-X and Paterson tanks. Ancient times. But who knows ?
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν