Author Topic: Leica M Monochrom  (Read 9148 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: Leica M Monochrom
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2017, 18:40:41 »
......................... I have never paid for a leica, only swapped gear..............

Just when I thought of marrying you.

You are confirming my thoughts on the processing - thanks for replaying
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2017, 22:43:25 »
Already taken and god only knows why anyone choose to employ two woman to pick on them... ;)

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2017, 02:16:04 »
just shoot film  :o :o :o

the files look lovely, but for that price it better be ::)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2017, 07:55:26 »
I suppose this one is affordable ...
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Harald

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2017, 09:04:20 »
Hi Elsa,

try the new Fuji X100f. Its B&W Mode is very good.

Harald
Some pictures on FLICKR

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 09:41:15 »
just shoot film  :o :o :o

the files look lovely, but for that price it better be ::)
Film is absolutely a way of getting bw look you want. Tri-x gives a consistent look, have nice DR and contrast, that can be manipulated with developer, developing times and pushing and pulling the film. Its easy to to develop at home and could be "scanned" with a dslr. So if you have and old film camera lying around, just do it.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2017, 10:41:07 »
Film is absolutely a way of getting bw look you want. Tri-x gives a consistent look, have nice DR and contrast, that can be manipulated with developer, developing times and pushing and pulling the film. Its easy to to develop at home and could be "scanned" with a dslr. So if you have and old film camera lying around, just do it.

Except that Kodak stopped making Tri-X Pan sometime in the '90s and replaced it with New Coke 400TX which is NOT the real thing.

Dave who developed more underexposed Tri-X from PR photographers than any other living person.

My alter ego in the day was Mickey Mouse as The Sorcerer's Apprentice. I had a picture of Mickey in my darkroom. I never explained the significance of this to my customers.
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2017, 11:56:46 »
You might have far more experience than me David, but I have yet to develop a roll of TX that wasn't usable. But sure, spots, stripes and all other mishaps occur in film developing, but that is a part of the charm and "ritual" of analog sensors. At least for my kind of analog photography :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2017, 12:26:05 »

If I remember correctly, this smartphone camera offers the Noctilux mode simulating the very shallow DOF.  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2017, 13:13:10 »
Except that Kodak stopped making Tri-X Pan sometime in the '90s and replaced it with New Coke 400TX which is NOT the real thing.

Tri-X was a traditional round grain film; it had a gritty-grainy, high contrast look that street and rock music photographers loved.  It also could be push-processed several stops, so it could get printable images however low the light.  Whether its merits ever matched the legend is another matter - but a quick way to start a fight on any film users' chatroom is to express doubts about Tri-X. 

In the 1980s a whole raft of tabular grain films appeared.  The tabular grains use less silver, so the films were cheaper to make but could be sold at higher prices because they were "technologically more advanced" (where have I heard that recently?).  Kodak's 400 speed tabular grain film was T-max, which is still sold.  Like the other tabular grain films, however, T-Max performed less well than Tri-X (as all the other tabular grain films performed less well than their round grain equivalents) and T-max sales collapsed.  Kodak still wanted to reduce its silver use, so - according to Steve Anchell - they then reformulated all their films using dye linkage because that also allows less silver to be used.  So Tri-X became TX, but TX still has rounded grains and high contrast. 

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 13:36:08 »
Les,

I gave T-max films a spin and never quite like them. The old Tri-X got improved (really) from time to time until 400XT. The H&D curve changed from the classic with a bend at zone VI. My standard development of Tri-X was to pull it by rating it at EI 200 in D-76 2:1 and N-1 or about 10% less development. The reason I used 2:1 was I tested 1:1 and 3:1 and decided to split the difference between kind of mushy grain at 1:1 and finer but harsh grain at 3:1. I printer mostly with dicronic color head (diffusion) and my standard paper grade was #3. This was a way of avoiding paper grades #0 and #1. Pulling the roll was a way I found it make use of the zone system. I later found that Ansel Adams recommended N-1 development for roll film cameras.

I would like to shoot a roll of B&W once in a while as I enjoy printing in the wet darkroom. Seeing the print come up in the tray was always magic to me.

The other film I liked was Super-XX 4142 a sheet film. I think it got discontinued about 1990 as digital took over color separation for the press.

Those wicked people at Kodak are paying for their silver skimping sins. Kodak should be the No. 1 maker of digital image sensors. :)

Dave

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2017, 13:39:21 »

Yes, sort of but it can't give the "Leica Glow." It can't!

Dave

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2017, 16:17:34 »
Having shot the Monochrom several times here is my opinion. The files are nice, they do require developing a pp technique to get the best out of them as they are fairly flat straight out of the camera. The files are very malleable - you can get the look you want.
For my taste Monochrom images are in a class by themselves. They aren't as good as a silver print and they are different from a converted color digital file. Ralph Gibson used one for his book Mono and they are probably some of the best Monochrom images I've seen. There are also many who post on getDPI under Leica "Fun with the Leica M Monocrhom" who are quite accomplished.

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2017, 18:36:11 »
Les,

I would like to shoot a roll of B&W once in a while as I enjoy printing in the wet darkroom. Seeing the print come up in the tray was always magic to me.

The other film I liked was Super-XX 4142 a sheet film. I think it got discontinued about 1990 as digital took over color separation for the press.

Dave

Super XX was introduced in 1940 on an acetate base with the code 6142.  Super XX 4142 was introduced in 1965 and was the same emulsion on an Estar  = polyester base.  Super XX was originally sold in both sheet and roll film, but the roll formats were replaced by Tri-X in the 1950s and from then on only sheet film was sold.  It had a thick emulsion, which reduced its resolving power, which I have read was why it was replaced, although for large formats that presumably did not matter as much which was why it persisted in sheets.  I have also read that there were OHS problems with the emulsion.  In a back-to-the-future note its characteristic curve was very long and straight - just like digital, so it would be very easy to emulate.

B&W film is a relaxing change from the frenzied pursuit of "features" and "innovation".

chambeshi

« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2017, 19:38:55 »