Author Topic: Leica M Monochrom  (Read 9140 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Leica M Monochrom
« on: May 05, 2017, 21:31:23 »
Forgive me if this has been discussed elsewhere - a search didnt reveal such a thread.

I am interested in knowing what you think of the Leica Monochrom images - specifically pertaining to the beautifully rendered tones the camera/lens gives. Almost blends in a different way IMHO of course.

Do you think it is different to what you get from the usual DSLR suspects?
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Leica M Monochrom
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 21:46:11 »
Leica monochrome is one of my dream cameras.  Even the ancient Kodak 760m was my dream camera.

I was simply attracted to the camera with the sensor of the non-Bayer type which is free from the artifact associated with the demosaic algorithm.  I was about to go for a FOVEON sensor camera made by Sigma, as it can function as poorman's (not rich, not young) Monochrome.

That said, Leica's characteristic rendition is largely thanks to their lenses and the sensor design dedicated for them, color or monochrome.  So, you should have to invest on the lenses as well as the camera.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 21:53:59 »
And Leica gear is not *inexpensive* .... plus the reports on the esoteric issues such as rust (sic) on the sensors chill my enthusiasm.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2017, 21:55:01 »
The stuff dreams are made of. I recently saw images taken with the Leica Monochrom and Leica Noctilux-M 50mm f/0.95 ASPH Lens. The photographer was a talented lady - with a borrowed set up I believe - and the rendering of the images was stunning to say the least. If I heard correctly - the 2 images I saw, was also shot at f 0.95. I was drawn to the beautiful rendering of the tones. In no uncertain terms
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2017, 21:55:56 »
And Leica gear is not *inexpensive* .... plus the reports on the esoteric issues such as rust (sic) on the sensors chill my enthusiasm.

Thank god for that bit of news - makes me  feel a LOT better than I dont own one :) :)

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 22:04:12 »
Please don't take me as an eyewitness to any Leica issues. I haven't used a Leica for decades myself, apart from the odd handling of Erik's Leica(s).

The price level is indubitable though. One really  needs a banking account with a significant number of trailing zeroes in it before even considering this brand.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 22:09:57 »
Noctilux is my dream lens, too, but you would need a Leica body to fully enjoy its unique rendition...

Another big issue on the lens side is that their coatings are prone to fog especially in humid climates while the lenses of Japanese makes were free from the problem in the same environments.  I used to use Leica lenses in 1990s and found that too many samples of them (mine or many I've checked at the shops) suffered from the problem.

I've never used or checked out any of the current Leica lenses, so I don't know if the problem has been addressed since.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 23:30:38 »
I own and use the leica M Monochrome. I had one earlier, sold it and bought it again. I think its a fantastic camera in the way it almost have a film like quality, especially high ISO. Very sharp and acute files straight out of camera which gives a impressive detail richness, even better than the D800E IMO. Impossible to recover blown highlights and a great ability to lighten shadows. One have to print the files to really enjoy them. A platinum palladium print is the ultimate price for a great photo from this camera.

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2017, 00:06:20 »
Here are some more files.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2017, 07:22:34 »
Lovely shots Børge!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2017, 07:28:46 »
Just when I was happy Leica is not such a great idea - Børge posts looovely photos :)

Børge - how much editing did you do -  and do you find processing images from this camera different to  - say the D800?

Which lenses do you own and why

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 10:38:02 »
Files from Monochrom are amazing but as Akira has pointed out, it requires the investment in the system which is beyond expensive

The debayering is interesting: I had tried to do the poor man debayer:

http://www.jtwastronomy.com/tutorials/debayer.html

but apart from destroying a trial camera (not sure if it was because it was like Humpty Dumpty which couldn't be put together again or if I wrecked the filamentous connectors at edge of sensor) I still wouldn't have the colour balancing and processing that Leica engineers had done to even the output.

Anybody else less cack-handed had a go at debayering a DSLR?

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 10:56:25 »
I owned a Leica G III for a few months. If I'd owned a few Nikkors for it I might still own it.

I had a Leica M4 overnight. The price was too high. I should have made a counter offer. I think I would have liked an M4 with three lense for candid photos of family.

It's ashame the price is so high those who made Leica what it was can't afford them anymore.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2017, 11:07:10 »
Clearly Leica's are for those who can afford them. No argument there. And there are enough people who can afford them.
Whether I am one of those is not important right now. I might meet a nice young rich virile man that can cook and afford to buy me gifts... I should be ready with my list!

BW

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Børge Wahl-Photography
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2017, 15:47:54 »
Just when I was happy Leica is not such a great idea - Børge posts looovely photos :)

Børge - how much editing did you do -  and do you find processing images from this camera different to  - say the D800?

Which lenses do you own and why
I have a preset in SEP that I use as a starting point for some tweaking of the files. I usually spend less than two minutes to finish the editing. I also use yellow or orange filter to get some more contrast and enhance skintones. The files are very different from the d800. If you increase the exposure in post, after underexposing during the shoot, the grain structure becomes very nice and pleasant in the MM files. I never seen the same happen in a bayer file. I currently own the grand total of one 50mm Summarit f1,5, but I have had the 35 mm Summicron and a couple of Voigtlanders. The 50mm f1,1 and the 50mm f1,5. The 35mm Summicron is the best of the lot and I will get that lens again. 35mm is the most versatile focal length IMO. I have never paid for a leica, only swapped gear. I gave up the first MM for a brand new D4s. I got it after swapping it for a D3s. The lenses also came to me this way 8) It has nothing to do with my bank account. I can assure you that! Trade ups can be a way of getting what you want, if you are able to bare being in the short end of the swap, sometimes ;)