Author Topic: One more time  (Read 1768 times)

Woodley Willie

• Monkey See, Monkey Do, Monkey Do Again...
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
One more time
« on: May 04, 2017, 16:01:43 »
This was the fourth time I have tried to coax an interesting photograph from this mirrored building.
Again, I did not succeed.  And due to a lack of real skill, I can't say exactly why.  Long exposure, everything was moving, possibly the camera on the tripod as well as the leaves, grass, etc.
I'm not going to give up on this bit of architecture just yet.  Criticisms are welcomed and appreciated.  I have 3 lenses, all D series:  60mm, 35-70mm, and 24mm.
Wonder what this does?

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: One more time
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 17:12:21 »
Willie, in my opinion the image is flat.
I did a quick and nasty edit - since it is a small file - colours are not great -
and by no means say it IS great - but you can see the difference already
Therefor - editing is an issue
edit - and it is under exposed
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

gryphon1911

• Looking For The Best Light
  • NG Member
  • Use The Best Light - ANY Light that is available!
    • Best Light Photographic Photographic
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 18:01:55 »
What were you trying to accomplish here.

I see 2 issues.

1)  The image seems very soft and flat.  A technical issue that can be corrected.  Could be motion blur, soft, OOF lens?

2)  I'm not finding a lot of interest in the subject, framing/composition.  Perhaps a different angle, getting closer(if possible)...try going back on a different day/time of day when the light is different.
Andrew
Nikon Z6/D500/Df Shooter (Various lenses), Olympus PEN-F (Various lenses), Fuji XPro2/X-E3 (various lenses)

Woodley Willie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 18:14:49 »
Thanks Elsa and Andrew.
Elsa, your edit definitely looks perkier.
Andrew, I'm not interested in the image either...what am I trying to accomplish?  I want to create an atmosphere of glitzy emptiness (of the building) contrasted with the natural setting.  Still working out how to do that.
Wonder what this does?

Woodley Willie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 23:55:42 »
Well, aside from the mystifying circles floating here and there....this might be my last try for awhile.  Post production was kind of a tie dye affair :)
Wonder what this does?

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 06:04:13 »
I find the reflective wall between the  buildings really interesting, personally I would try closer details
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

brent_e

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 19:12:48 »
i like the last image.    :D

the mystifying circles are dust bunnies that appear more when the lens is stopped down. 

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 20:07:16 »
My primary critiques are the color and the oof elements of the building. 

On the color, is your monitor calibrated?

On the oof, you can use live view (assuming tripod use) to ensure your focus and aperature selection are adequate.
-Tristin

Woodley Willie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 21:34:51 »
Thanks to Armando and Brent (especially for the dust info).
Tristin, my monitor is not calibrated beyond looking at one of the test pages that is available for color.  I've seen a sophisticated calibration gizmo used...even thought of buying one and roaming the streets shouting, 'MONITORS CALIBRATED, MONITORS CALIBRATED....'  Thought I might pay for the calibration device that way?
Wonder what this does?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 21:56:33 »
I would partially agree with Armando.

To me, the problem is more of the concept rather than the technique.

How do you want to present the building?  Its exterior covered with the mirror?  Its shape?  Or its environment?  You may want to think about the balance of the elements you want to blend.

I would think your earlier trials concentrating on the building and its reflection of the clouds and rendered in B&W were more successful, even though they were not satisfactory to you.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 23:12:50 »
Monitor calibrators are really cheap compared to the lenses and bodies we love and is absolutely crucial for digital post processing.  Until you have you monitor calibrated, there really is no reason to edit color or even luminosity characteristics to a degree.  You aren't making the changes you think you are unless your monitor is calibrated, all you will do is counteract your monitor's already flawed representation of your images and likely antagonize the issues you sought to correct in post processing.  Until you get a calibrator, I would honestly recommend leaving color edits alone.
-Tristin