Author Topic: stuck focus on 35/1.4 AI  (Read 5858 times)

Nikodemus

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: stuck focus on 35/1.4 AI
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 12:49:40 »
Dear contributors to this page,

so I have the same problem as Bruno when this thread started: The focus of my Nikkor 35mm / 1,4 is not moving smoothly and and I would love get it repaired. Or do the repair myself.

Now I carefully read through the comments here and also searched the web to find out how to take this exact lens apart, in order to clean and grease the focus, but I am still left rather dazzled. Also the CRC part sounds intimidating to take apart.

My question to Bruno or anybody: Have you actually got to the helicoids of this lens and successfully repaired the focus?

with many thanks in advance!
-Niki

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2019, 13:22:54 »
Our Dr. Lens (aka NG member Erik Lund) or the Eastern Panda (Richard Hawes) would know how to do this.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2019, 19:28:35 »
Based on the information given in Richard’s articles I’ve successfully disassembled and reassembled a couple of lenses. If you read all the articles and take the lessons learned (always use correct screwdrivers, document steps, handle and store lens elements safely, don’t disassemble things you don’t need to disassemble...) then is it quite possible to tackle degreasing a lens.

Every article of his mentions marking the points where helicoids separate. This is very true! Also helpful to use infinity focus as a reference point. Keep a camera nearby to photograph step by step. I don’t use a camera, but there were a couple of times where it would have been a helpful reminder or confirmation of what to do next.

I think I have more experience in taking things apart than most people, so if you aren’t mechanically handy I recommend finding a junk lens to practice on.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2019, 20:43:01 »
Sometimes finding a local camera repair shop turns to be the easiest solution to dealing with a malfunctioning lens. However, learning how to fix minor issues on one's own is rarely wasted.

Nikodemus

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2019, 10:04:11 »
Ok thank you for your feedback.

I just called Nikon Service Point Austria- who don't even want to take the lens in. They say they don't have parts for it and the risk of damaging the lens is too big,,

Then I called Nikon repair Dostal & Rudolf GmbH in Munich. Who say there is a good chance of successfully repairing the rough-running focus. And for a reasonable price, so that's where the lens is headed now.

Fingers crossed they can fix it, thanks again for the support!