Author Topic: She went to Italy and only looked at the Wildflowers  (Read 2340 times)

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
She went to Italy and only looked at the Wildflowers
« on: May 02, 2017, 17:22:09 »
Poppies in the Parking Lot
Everywhere in Rome I see the persistence of green life. Here amongst the tiles in the parking area at the Carrefour grocery store.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: She went to Italy and only looked at the Wildflowers
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 17:23:05 »
Poppies in the Ruins of the Foro Romano

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 17:27:59 »
Graffiti and Wildflowers
Rome has too much graffiti, however it is often softened by wildflowers.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 17:29:36 »
A Tourist Snapshot of the Wedding Cake
Sometimes I think that 24 megapixels combined with in-camera ADL is just too, too much. This looks like a "*&%^$*" postcard!!!! The skies are that blue in Rome, however. So we can't blame the camera or the photographer for everything. The foreground was in shadow from other buildings.
There are 5,673 tourists in this photo (I counted!!). Right click and select View Image to see them all. "-)
This is a monument to King Victor Emmanuel II, the first king of a unified Italy.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 17:31:40 »
Another Tourist Postcard of the Foro Romano
I swear I am not responsible for the way this photo turned out. I just pushed the shutter to make a memory.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 17:32:42 »
Red Shoes, Green Shoes on Bus #60, Via Nomentata, Roma

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 17:34:36 »
The pictures with the flowers are very nice, you have a good eye for the uncommon, very inspirational.
Well pictures of big buildings in Rome tend to be postcard, but we also need pictures for our memories ;)

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 17:42:57 »
Thank you, Bent.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 17:43:47 »
Gatto Rotondo, Pratica di Mare
No series is complete without a CAT PHOTO.  This kitty was contented and sleepy. I am responsible for the way this photo turned out. It was hyper-detailed in Photo Ninja. Too much, I know. But sometimes we seek a different look on purpose.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 17:53:14 »
Ristorante sulla Spiaggia, Tor San Lorenzo
The aquamarine water of the Tyrrhenian Sea (Mar Tirreno) is somewhat darker than this Photo Ninja illuminated photo shows (illumination slider, some sharpening, no other edits). Michele and I ate an entire large bowl of Tiramisu at this beach-side restaurant. The ladies (M's cousin and her friend) had an entire large bowl of Fragoli con Gelato. Later we skipped dinner.

elsid

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 19:30:32 »
Very nice pictures Andrea. The pictures with the poppies are very familiar to me, you can see many scenes like these in Greece.
The kitty, judging by the size and shape of its head, must be a male. Cats are favorite subjects for me too.
If you are still in Rome take the plane and come to Athens. It is a short trip.
Never measure the height of a mountain until you reach its top

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 20:43:10 »
The "wedding cake" is really very nice. Yet I guess a tad less aggresive post production could lead to a less postcardish result...

Love it any way, esp the "do not step on the lawn" sign!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 21:07:26 »
Andrea, "Graffiti and Wildflowers" is my favorite so far.  But, as Bent pointed out and as always, I enjoy your unique points of view.  I wonder how you counted 5673 tourists?!

I didn't know you have D750 which I've been using for 15 months.  You took the most of the potentiality of the camera, including the "Post Card Mode".  ;D

I didn't know that Altare della Patria was nicknamed "Wedding Cake".  If I remember correctly, it was nicknamed "Typewriter" 30+ years ago when I visited there.   ::)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 02:12:24 »
Nice series, the adl make the images look as some photoninja results
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 09:33:42 »
Elsid:  If you are still in Rome take the plane and come to Athens.

I wish I could! Someday, perhaps.  :)

Akira:  I wonder how you counted 5673 tourists?!

One by one........ But perhaps I exaggerate just a bit??  8)

Akira:  Altare della Patria == Typewriter

Yes, also the "Typewriter" nickname! Michael (my husband) and his cousin call it the "Wedding Cake".

Frank:  ...a tad less aggresive post production could lead to a less postcardish result.

But, the only "post production" was to slightly rotate the level and to improve the vertical perspective so that the building did not appear tilted (Photo Ninja for the rotate/perspective). Otherwise I managed this Postcard by using in-camera settings and pulling out a TIF in View NX. Strange, I know! But sometimes that is what happens- you get a Postcard whether you want it or not.  ??? (Crop & Resize in Photo Mechanic.)

Akira:  I didn't know you have D750 which I've been using for 15 months.

I had bought a used D750 from Lens Rentals and planned to convert it to full spectrum for my UV photography. However, I liked the camera so much that I never converted it.I find it very interesting that each Nikon body seems to require different settings to obtain the best results. With the D750 I have not yet quite determined those good settings. For example, I'm having trouble with the Clarity slider and how best to use it. Also with the D750, I have made too many photos which have too many dark shadows. This does not seem to happen with the D810. Why the difference??? I do not know. In the above Postcard, I had set the in-camera ADL to Extra High in order to lessen the shadows. That setting is, of course, too extreme.

I like shooting 24 MP which seems easier to convert, edit and resize than does 36 MP.