Author Topic: Upgrading, and i need some help  (Read 6431 times)

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Upgrading, and i need some help
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2017, 05:42:18 »
Some good info here, thanks to all that responded.
Carl

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 13:17:09 »
I agree with all the above. I started with the d200 in 2007 and it has been quite a trip since. Even the jump to a d300 was a major one. As of today and depending in the type of photography you do and your needs, if price-weight-IQ are concerns I will seriously consider a second hand d600 or d610.

I have been using the d750 -same sensor- for some time and has been amazed by the quality of the files it produces. 24mp full frame and very reasonable prices.

I hope it helps.

DougB

• NG Member
  • I IS NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 15:16:20 »
Just bought a new D7200 in January just before leaving for 2 months in Spain. This was after deciding that I was not going to spring for a D500 & needed something to shoot sports with high ISO capability. After arriving in Spain I shot Malaga CF in early February using the Nikon 70-300 AF VR
see the results here   https://zing-graphics.smugmug.com/frame/slideshow?key=mfb9Jc&autoStart=1&captions=0&navigation=0&playButton=0&randomize=0&speed=3&transition=fade&transitionSpeed=2&clickable=1

I also used it with the old kit lens 18-55 VR & an old 24-120 f3.5 AF

I came from D200 - D300 - D700 - D3S  so getting used to the D7200 was not a problem.
I also use several MF Nikons & have no problem focusing with any of them on the viewfinder (not using LV but I have fairly good eyes)
Good luck

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2017, 01:21:03 »
I'm just scared of Nikpn's refurbed stuff right now. the refurb price on the D7200 is good but the reviews are not all that good. A lot of bodies didn't function correctly which could present a hassle that I'd rather avoid for the price difference. B&H throws in SanDisk 16GB Extreme SDHC UHS-1 card and small bag with the new one.
Carl

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2017, 01:41:26 »
I have a D7200 and I'm very pleased with it. For me it's basically an improved D7000, with the improved buffer being very much appreciated.  As for refurbished units, it's true that B&H has a rating of just 3 out of 5 on them.  However, there are only three reviews, and the two negative reviews are by the same person who posted similar info both times, apparently for the same purchase.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2017, 03:27:11 »
The warranty with refurbished Nikon products is only 90 days. I bought a refurbished AF-S 24-85/3.5-4.5G ED VR and the VR was dead which is probably the reason the lens was returned in the first place. Some people have good luck with refurbed but I won't try it again. If Nikon was confident of the refurbished products it sells they would give a one year warranty.

Some sellers other than Nikon may give a longer warranty on Nikon refurbished products.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2017, 06:45:29 »
I agree with all the above. I started with the d200 in 2007 and it has been quite a trip since. Even the jump to a d300 was a major one. As of today and depending in the type of photography you do and your needs, if price-weight-IQ are concerns I will seriously consider a second hand d600 or d610.

I have been using the d750 -same sensor- for some time and has been amazed by the quality of the files it produces. 24mp full frame and very reasonable prices.

I hope it helps.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2017, 06:50:40 »

I hope it helps.

What about a D610 from KEH.com? I've had good luck buying from KEH and their warranty is 180 days.

Dave

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2017, 07:05:09 »
What about a D610 from KEH.com? I've had good luck buying from KEH and their warranty is 180 days.

Dave
\\\\
FX presents a lens replacement issue requiring more funding to accomplish. Plus, as I read things, the D7200 has capabilities that are advanced beyond those of the D610.
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2017, 07:13:35 »
\\\\
FX presents a lens replacement issue requiring more funding to accomplish. Plus, as I read things, the D7200 has capabilities that are advanced beyond those of the D610.

I was just looking at eBay and buydig, and with any sort of reliable encouragement, I just  might buy from them @ $749. I AM ready to order, and I will also grab an RRS L plate for the D7200. Add to that any bargain lens deals that get my attention.
Carl

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2017, 21:39:45 »
Adorama has the D7200 on their website for $759, a price that B&H would not match, BTW. So I call Adorama just now, a little chatting, and I get the D7200 for $719!  8)

B&H did sell me the RRS L bracket though....

Now, I'm of two minds over lenses, so I think I'll take the advice of Ilkka and others, and hold off on buying any until I see how my 18-200 and 12-24 do with 24MPs. Of all things, something I had not considered, Thom Hogan doesn't think that my 50mm's are gonna be good enough. Sheesh!  I will have to see that for myself, but the 35mm1.8 DX is not expensive.

So, I'm off to Costco to grab an SDHC card, or maybe two.
Carl

Nasos Kosmas

• NG Supporter
  • Athens, Greece
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 22:43:49 »
It's a very good price and also d7200 is a very good camera
I recently upgrade from d7000 and  I have to say that I rediscovered my Nikon 18-70 3.5-4.5 that showed much better on the new camera (every lens I put on this body looks better, the Sharpening algorithms do a very good job) so give a try on your lenses
I also use 50 1.8 G that is an excellent lens just from the f 1.8 and also 35 1.8 DX a very good lens that became my standard
Enjoy

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2017, 02:48:03 »
"What a revolt'in development!"

As I feared, the news is not good. My D7200 refurb arrived today, and it was missing the strap, which is no big deal. so I called Adorama while waiting for the battery to charge, and they agreed to ship out a strap. But, that was a preview of things to come. So once the battery was charged and I stuck it in the camera, and discovered that the door on the built in flash will not open. This is one of the more common issues with this body I'm told. Anyway that's enough for me to return it and get my money back.

Now, I'm in a quandary over the D7200. If I buy new my odds of getting one without problems are much better.
Adorama is currently closed, so I can't call them about returning the camera until tomorrow, which means that I don't know what they will offer to keep a sale while getting this body back in return.

Costco has the D7200 bundled with the 18-55, 55-300, extra battery, 32GB SDHC card, SD card wallet,  case, Costco $5 coupon, and an extra  year of warranty on the body making it 2 years instead of one for $1350, plus $115 tax. That would solve some of my concerns about lenses up to the 24 MP sensor size, but the lenses don't have good build quality. Maybe that wouldn't matter, as I'm very careful with my gear,. but, I don't know if my good care is enough to warrant buying this bundle.

I'm open to opinions,  so let's hear 'em.
Carl

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2017, 04:28:50 »
I think if you can get it bundled with the 18-140 you'd be better off. It's a good match for the body. Both B&H and Adorama have that for about $1300. 

The 55-300 is not a bad lens, but it's slow to focus, and tends to hunt.  Mine will often go all the way to one end and come back, in order to find focus if it's not pretty close to start with.   For a bit more money the 70-300 VR focuses almost exactly twice as fast, does not hunt,  and it's better made, with non rotating front element and a manual focus override.   

I'd consider getting the camera and kit zoom new, and looking for a used bargain in a telephoto.  Examples of either the 55-300 or the 70-300 (making sure it's the right one, not the cheap G version) can be found at places like KEH.com.  My wife just got a nice clean copy of the latter from KEH for $328.  If you really like the 55-300, it can be had for under $250 like new.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2017, 05:12:49 »
The lenses with the Costco bundle don't interest me. I'm put off by the plastic bayonet on the 18-55mm. Adorama let's you create your own bundle. The 18-140mm zoom range would be more interesting to me. I've rally liked my friend's AF-S 16-85/3.5-5.6G ED VR DX or maybe the newer 16-80/2.8-4.0 lens so...

I'd pass on the Costco bundle. I'd get the lens or lenses you really want.

Dave Hartman