Author Topic: Lens changer gadget  (Read 19630 times)

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Lens changer gadget
« on: April 25, 2017, 15:49:57 »
Capture lens kit - gadget allows for easy lens switching in the field.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uypx0kTRVEo
http://www.photogadgets.co.za/product/peak-design-lens-changer-kit/

looks like this:

"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Lens changer gadget
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 16:10:09 »
Interesting link Elsa.

I mostly use prime lenses (if you use a zoom then this thing has little use) but I struggle to find a valid use case for having this thing hanging on my belt. Certainly anything over about 50mm will be awkward. Forget about hanging a 180mm or 300mm off of this. And smaller lenses I can put into a secure pocket out of the way. Maybe that is just me. Anyone else think this would be useful?

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 16:15:00 »
Jack - I don't know......    I just don't know............. Interesting for sure. I shoot with 2 bodies and still find I miss a third body with a different lens. Even if I shoot with zooms
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Ethan

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 16:40:26 »
This is not a gadget but a necessity.

As I only shoot with primes. I did acquire the Capture Lens as soon as released and it works wonders for whomever shoots with one body and 2 lenses. Is is really fast and practical as I used to carry a second lens in a pouch.

It also defeats the infamous camera gear thieves as they are at loss trying to unmount the lens.

The longest lens I use is the 105 E with the hood on and it rest easily on the hip. You need to tighten your belt though.
What I like is the fact when crouching or seating. You rotate the lens towards your groin and it stays safe and comfortable even with the hood on.

There is another company which started a Kickstarter for a 3 lens mount which I am also interested in.

You need not have the mount on your belt as it can go on your backpack strap or wherever.

The only caveat when on your belt is it digs into your belly but they have a special Pad for it.

Here is my well used CaptureLens:

MFloyd

• NG Supporter
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 18:10:35 »
I love PD - Peak Design.  You should also try the Camera Sling Straps

Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Alaun

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 18:58:14 »
Isn't all the dust and dirt collected in the lid falling into the lens, when you mount a lens and flip it?
Wer-      Dro-
      ner         ste

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 19:16:17 »
Yes - I you watch the reviews (youtube) it is recommended to keep them clean - even with a body cap, and clean them out. But it seems it is not a major concern

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 21:15:59 »
This can be useful for some users.
I don't think I'd like to advertise my lenses in crowds, or carry them exposed in dirty/dusty locations.  I have occasionally attached a common Lowepro lens case to my belt in order to carry one extra lens.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 22:51:09 »
I used a waist pack with foam cut for three lenses. It was deep enough for a 105/2.8 AIS Micro-Nikkor with HS-14 hood. I would carry three lenses. One on the camera and two in the waist pack.

When switching lenses the lens comes off the camera, gets capped and goes in the empty well. The next lens comes out, gets uncapped and goes on the camera. I could do this while walking and carrying a 22 kg (48 lb.) back pack.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 23:44:58 »
I like it.  Of course, I am a prime shooter with no large teles.
-Tristin

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2017, 00:22:26 »
The CaptureLENS and Lens Kit doesn't interest me particularly because of two factors: one is advertising my lenses and two is some of the dust that collects in the device ends up on your lens and some of the dust on your lens ends up on your sensor.

I'll throw in another: the ware of the rear lens mount gets doubled. Putting a plastic cap on a lens doesn't affect the lens bayonet since it's harder than the plastic.

Oops! The lens caps get dusty. It's a far more dusty world with a dSLR than it was with a fSLR.

The waist pack worked well for me. The lenses today are larger especially with their lens hoods. I prefer to leave lens hoods deployed in the forward position which makes a storage problem. I've been meaning to buy a messenger bag. One lightly loaded with a body and three lenses shouldn't be to bad to carry.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2017, 07:18:50 »
It is one of those gadgets that you either love or hate. Find useful or useless.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2017, 07:57:00 »
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2017, 09:11:28 »
Elsa, for small primes I just buy rear caps (not very expensive) and glue them back to back and wrap tape around them.  So take out and take the one off the camera , put in the empty cap .  I do not wear any of them showing and my pants would fall down if I were to put it on my belt  ;) .  This is another item which would sit in a drawer for me.  Would not work for long lenses.  It is more about the amount of time you leave a lens of the camera than getting to the lens.

We have gone pretty much to the Peak Design Straps for all cameras but this and their bags leave me cold.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2017, 04:13:10 »
In case "two" is not enough:   :)

Why stop at three? How about a bandalero which holds 8 or 10?