Author Topic: 125/2.5 CV APO A Substitute For The 135/2 APO Zeiss?  (Read 10214 times)

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
125/2.5 CV APO A Substitute For The 135/2 APO Zeiss?
« on: April 24, 2017, 15:53:04 »
Since I tend to use the 135/2 Zeiss stopped down a bit to f/2.8 (to get a little DOF back) for candids - is the 125/2.5 CV a smaller, lighter-weight substitute in this case? 
Is it worth having for $2K or so that the Nikon mount version seems to be going for these days?

This would be used on my A7RII for candids.  My 135/3.4 APO Telyt is also fantastic, but sometimes f/3.4 is just a little slow or has too much DOF.

Thanks -

John
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: 125/2.5 CV APO A Substitute For The 135/2 APO Zeiss?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 16:18:40 »
Wouldn't it be handy to have auto focus? 135 2.0 DC  :)
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 17:56:19 »
If you plan to go for the APO Lanthar I would suggest to get one with a Canon EF mount, all digital so much more future proof on mirrorless.

Downside is that there's no aperture ring, on the flip side adapters are very cheap as they only have to extend the CPU contacts vs operating an aperture mechanism.

The EF mount is also lot cheaper than the F mount, also a nice :)

Here's mine on an older a7R.

Hipstamatic app on iPhone 5
Cheers,
Jan Anne

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 19:48:55 »
John, if you are after  narrow DOF, wouldn't it be nice to try the new Sigma 135/1.8?  I did not, yet, but anybody, maybe? LZ

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2017, 20:40:17 »
Here a couple of shot of Jakovic with the 125 APO Lanthar.

With focus on the Df, wide-open (as usual):

On a7S, Netherlands 2014

Focus on the butterfly :)

On a7R, Montenegro 2014
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Macro_Cosmos

• NG Member
    • Flickr
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2017, 22:34:46 »
 :o lovely BW with that butterfly! 125/2.5 APO-Macro-Lanthar is a lens I lust over but just can't rationalise to buy. I'm a uni brat and starving myself for 6 months probably would do... but nah.
Photomicrography gallery: Instagram
Blog: Diatoms Australia
Andor Zyla 5.5 sCMOS | Hamamatsu ORCA-Flash V2 | Nikon Z6 | Olympus Microscope

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2017, 22:56:26 »
I was lucky, bought mine new in box for €600 only a few years ago because the seller didn't know what we was selling and already made his profits on the other lenses in the collectors batch he was selling. It was supposed to a Canon FD version but when I opened the box it turned out to be the latest EF mount, luckily I didn't buy the adapter before hand (although I do have the Canon 85/1.2 FD now).
Cheers,
Jan Anne

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 04:35:46 »
Since I tend to use the 135/2 Zeiss stopped down a bit to f/2.8 (to get a little DOF back) for candids - is the 125/2.5 CV a smaller, lighter-weight substitute in this case? 
Is it worth having for $2K or so that the Nikon mount version seems to be going for these days?

John
I have both - I got the Zeiss when there was a closing down sale saving Aus$400 and the CV for about Aus$1500.
Hard to say if it is worth an extra $2K if you already had the Zeiss - but it is definitely smaller although height and weight are similar. The Zeiss has considerably more girth. Hood on Zeiss is huge.

I've written about them before - the Zeiss 'more' Apo and higher macro and micro contrast. The CV though less 'crisp' adds some character which is 'elegant' - terrible descriptions but I think defines it.

FWIW I travel overseas with the CV - never with Zeiss because of size.

JJ

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 05:34:59 »
Wouldn't it be handy to have auto focus? 135 2.0 DC  :)

I've been down the 135/2 DC route and I wish never to go back :(

jhinkey

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2017, 05:36:34 »
If you plan to go for the APO Lanthar I would suggest to get one with a Canon EF mount, all digital so much more future proof on mirrorless.

Downside is that there's no aperture ring, on the flip side adapters are very cheap as they only have to extend the CPU contacts vs operating an aperture mechanism.

The EF mount is also lot cheaper than the F mount, also a nice :)

Here's mine on an older a7R.

Hipstamatic app on iPhone 5

Wow - didn't even think about the EF mount option for my A7RII.  I'll look into that.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2017, 06:03:27 »
John, for a while the EF mounts were more common (and cheaper) but have not seen one recently. I tell a lie :http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Voigtlander-MACRO-APO-LANTHAR-125mm-f-2-5-SL-MF-Lens-for-Canon-EOS-/332192808589?hash=item4d583bfe8d:g:HUQAAOSwcUBYIUFN

Maybe J.A. has done a for the EF mount that B.R. did for the F mount  >:( ,  Since I am looking in the price range for a 135mm for the Sony , I will expand my search  ;) .  I've actually never owned a Canon, or Canon mount, lens.
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2017, 07:20:32 »
Tom
My friend has an Emount CV which I convinced him to buy
I would still try to get the Nikon mount - it has the aperture ring which can be used on Nikon cameras and with an adaptor on the Sony - except without the Exif data

JJ

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2017, 07:32:44 »
Thanks JJ, I just made the point about the Nikon use in an email to J.A.  I sort of try to keep track of exif (easier using the Techart adapter) but not critical.   I did get the price of the Batis 135 2.8 down to below US price ;) .  Not arriving in India for another couple of weeks and of course I get the Zeiss 3 year warranty.   Looks like I should have purchased the guy's set of three Voigt APO's for Nikon but had not sold my gear so lack of funds at the time  ;)
How's life ?
Tom
Edit:  I just received a very fast reply from the seller for the linked lens and he cannot be certain that it would arrive in UK in time :(
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Michael Erlewine

• Close-Up Photographer
  • NG Supporter
  • Close-Up with APO
    • Spirit Grooves
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2017, 10:10:34 »
The CV-125 mm is a macro lens, while the Zeiss you mention, the 135mm APO f/2 is not. These two lenses are not similar and I have used both for years. The Zeiss is better corrected, sharper by far, but it's closest distance is something like 2.62 feet, hardly close. You can put a small amount of extension (K1 ring, 5.8mm) on the 135mm, and the Zeiss is a much better lens. That being said, the CV-125 is a better walk-around/tripod macro lens, but the IQ is not even close, IMO.
MichaelErlewine.smugmug.com, Daily Blog at https://www.facebook.com/MichaelErlewine. main site: SpiritGrooves.net, https://www.youtube.com/user/merlewine, Founder: MacroStop.com, All-Music Guide, All-Movie Guide, Classic Posters.com, Matrix Software, DharmaGrooves.com

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2017, 22:40:52 »
Wow - didn't even think about the EF mount option for my A7RII.  I'll look into that.
Just don't go for the Commlite adapter, it can't handle f/2.5 and will register it as 2.8, the Metabones works as designed but is also a lot more expensive (but also firmware upgradeable). But there are plenty alternatives out there nowadays.
Cheers,
Jan Anne