Author Topic: Soap film no. 2  (Read 1698 times)

RBSinTo

• NG Member
Soap film no. 2
« on: April 21, 2017, 19:38:48 »
Taken about 14 years ago with a buddy who put together a whole rig to shoot thin soap films.
 The results are strangely beautiful abstract creations that in many ways mimic the clouds of Jupiter
 motorized Nikon F2AS
 micro-Nikkor 200 f4 AIS manual focus
 Ektachrome 100 ISO colour slide
 exposure information long forgotten
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Thomas G

• NG Supporter
  • lumofisk
    • Iceland round trip 2016
Re: Soap film no. 2
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 22:18:59 »
Taken about 14 years ago with a buddy who put together a whole rig to shoot thin soap films.
 The results are strangely beautiful abstract creations that in many ways mimic the clouds of Jupiter
 motorized Nikon F2AS
 micro-Nikkor 200 f4 AIS manual focus
 Ektachrome 100 ISO colour slide
 exposure information long forgotten
[picture]
Very imaginative! Like the flow and the colors.
-/-/-

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 22:27:51 »
This is stunningly beautiful!  Thanks for sharing.  Do you happen to have a picture of the rig?
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 22:38:57 »
Very intriguing pattern and colours.

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 01:42:11 »
Thomas, Akira, John,
Thank you for commenting.
Akira,
I don't have any pictures of the rig, but it is quite simple:
an open-sided cube made from thin wood, with non-strobed lights angled down at 45 degrees and aimed to bounce back up and through the top of the cube. A  ring with handle (can be home-made from a coat hanger) which will sit on the top of the frame.
a large container to hold the dishwashing detergent/glycerol mix (I forget the ratio of ingredients).
dip the ring in the liquid mix and quickly rest the ring on the frame, look through tripod mounted camera and quickly shoot before soap film thins and breaks (usually no more than two or three seconds).
This description is from memory, and I have undoubtedly omitted some vital information so I suggest Googling "Soap film photography" to find a number of articles and tutorials on the subject.
Robert   
I shoot with film. That's film. F...i...l...m. You remember film. It was in all the papers.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 02:35:09 »
Robert, thanks for the details.

Apparently the glycerol enhances the viscosity of the soap film to make it last a little longer.  If I remember correctly, the glycerol is also used to make huge soap bubbles.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

RBSinTo

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 05:36:05 »
Akira,
You are correct about the Glycerol. Even with it, the amount of time you've got to shoot is very fleeting as the soap film very quickly thins as it runs to the perimeter of the ring and finally pops.
Robert