Author Topic: printing on metal (brushed Aluminium prints)  (Read 14195 times)

charlie

• NG Supporter
Re: printing on metal (brushed Aluminium prints)
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2017, 22:56:10 »
David, if I understand correctly the idea here is to purposefully blow the highlights so that nothing is printed in that area of the picture and the metal shows through. The brushed aluminum surface becomes the highlights adding its own effect. If you were to leave the highlights under the 255 white point (or 250 or where ever the cutoff point for printing is) then the brushed aluminum will be completely printed over and the effect of printing on aluminum in the first place would be diminished.

I could see strong graphic images that are well suited to high contrast working best in this style of printing. The sky detail in your shot Elsa has very delicate highlight detail transitions and once lost the sky is much less interesting. Blowing the highlights in the sky for the sake of the print could be to the detriment of the overall image. The city scene below however I think lends itself to high contrast where there are sharp lines dividing the shadows and highlights. What if you were to keep detail in the sky and mountain and only do the high contrast effect in the city/buildings below?

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2017, 07:45:12 »
charlie - blowing the highlights is needed to get the clear metal coming thru - it is what gives the print that special 3D look. As said - it doesnt like mid tones too much - as something like 200 200 200 puts down a thin layer of ink which takes the luster of the metal away. Remember the metal is highly textured - so it looks like there is detail there. I am very happy with the blown whites - I need to reduce my blacks on the mountain I think. Still sleeping on it.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2017, 17:09:21 »
Elsa,
Perhaps your shop has a print profile for the aluminum medium ?

I have printed only a few times, because the experience was disappointing, a printer came to give a talk to the photo club and offered the service to:
1. calibrate your working screen (although I have a spyder and I do my own calibration every 4 weeks)
2. install the proper printer profiles so you can proof the images before sending them to the printer
During the talk it was also explained the advantages and limitations of different mediums

I have not printed on any fancy medium like canvas or aluminum , but what I have sent to them , looks exactly as I wanted it

Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2017, 17:17:09 »
Armando - funny you should say that - I have been meaning to get Orms (our B&H) to arrange a advance talk on printing.
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2017, 17:28:18 »
And, no doubt, enjoy their superb coffee :D

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
    • Elsa Hoffmann
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2017, 18:08:20 »
And, no doubt, enjoy their superb coffee :D
no question about that.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2017, 22:10:46 »
I assume that oxidation is a non-issue with the aluminum, and if so, how is that prevented?
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2017, 22:23:23 »
I assume that oxidation is a non-issue with the aluminum, and if so, how is that prevented?

Aluminium will lose its shininess over time.  So, some sort of protection should be necessary.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2017, 22:34:27 »
Aluminium will lose its shininess over time.  So, some sort of protection should be necessary.

Indeed, and sometimes that time is pretty short. I'm guessing that the oxidation issue has been overcome with these prints. but I don't know how. No experience here with printing on aluminum, but I have plenty of experience with polished aluminum, although, that was some years ago, and I have not kept pace with it.
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2017, 04:11:12 »
Carl, as explained by Simone, the ink appears to be of UV cure type and durable.  So, it can be an effective protection.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2017, 06:17:18 »
Carl, as explained by Simone, the ink appears to be of UV cure type and durable.  So, it can be an effective protection.

Okay, but Elsa said that there was no ink where white would be in an image, so that's the area where I was  wondering about oxidation.
Carl

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2017, 06:31:11 »
As I understand it, the print is actually on a polymer film which gets bonded to the metal. As such it likely prevents the aluminum from oxidizing.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2017, 06:54:11 »
As I understand it, the print is actually on a polymer film which gets bonded to the metal. As such it likely prevents the aluminum from oxidizing.

That makes sense, thanks Jack.

Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2017, 07:07:47 »
I see.  Thanks, Jack, for the additional info.  Even with the UV cure ink, there would be some way for the protective coating.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2017, 02:34:29 »
I went down to my local dealer today, and stopped by the Lab while I was there. The Lab guys told me that they don't do printing on metal, beyond using metallic papers. So much for my effort to see an example. I was surprised that they din't do it, because this it is the local lab preferred by pros, but they said that it's not for everyone, as it doesn't always turn out the way people expect.

Carl